Miles & More as an additional FF Program?

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by Nagaraja Visweswaraiah, Oct 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Hi,

I am an Emirates Skywards Gold member and use EK for most of my flights from Bangalore, India to LAX and United/Southwest for travels to Seattle. I also have a Thai Royal Silk FF silver status and now want to take a Lufthansa flight from BLR-SEA.
    My question is - if I fly on Lufthansa, will I still get bonus miles due to my silver staus on Thai Royal Silk, both being members of Star alliance? appreciate your response.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    As long as you are on an eligible fare- you will get miles for your Lufthansa flight with your Thai frequent flyer membership.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  3. Thanks very much, Appreciate it

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm confused by your question and your thread title. LH is a member of *A, so you can credit their flights to Thai, UA, etc. If you credit to UA or Thai, you will receive elite status bonus miles according to their rules based on your status in the program you are crediting.

However, if you open a new LH FF account to credit the flight, you will not be considered to have elite status by LH when crediting only your new LH number. This would include not only elite bonus miles but also benefits such as extra checked luggage, whatever *A Silver is entitled to. A possible work-around might be to use one program's FF number for status and a different FF number to credit.

I'm puzzled why you would want to open a new FF account for only a single flight/trip.

5. Well, there is a possibility that I will be travelling more in Asia next year and getting a better FF status on *A ( using any of these airlines -Thai/SQ, ANA) and hence use this opportunity to travel to Seattle on LH. If all the benefits available to LH miles & More customers are also available to my Thai FF, I wanted to explore this option.

Honestly I am quite happy with EK experience and I am sure it would take more efforts by LH to match these. I may still go with EK this time also....

6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    You don't say what class you are flying in- however if you are flying paid F you will find that LH has the upper hand on EK and also you will accumulate points very quickly with 300% of flown miles for F flyers. The C product is not up to date- and the Y product is very uncomfortable. I can't remember when EK starts flying to SEA- however this could be a better option for you as a gold card member possibly.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    LH only seems to give good benefits to SEN and HON, just business class lounge access at a few German airports for their own *Silver people. If you won't realistically achieve SEN status, it would be hard to see what you would gain by switching away from Thai or maybe switching to get SQ points that you could sometimes use for upgrades on their flights.

8. It would be Business class. EK starts SEA flights from next March. Now it is upto LAX and then one more leg to SEA...

9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Business Class is hit and miss on EK (depends which aircraft you get). LH has the slippery slope seat. I would fly LH because I loathe the extra connection at LAX.

10. I agree, it is at least an extra 4 hours layover in LAX + flying time to SEA, for the same stretch done on EK to LAX(overflying SEA). A known angel is better than an unknown slippery slpoe seat!!

11. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would take Dragonair to HKG and then connect on to SEA with CX.

12. It goes to SEA via Vancouver. I will need a Canadian transit visa. CX is again not on either *A or EK codeshare...
    This will be a new FF program on CX..

MSPeconomist likes this.
  13. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you need a canadian transit visa that completely changes things- you are right to stay with the simplest routes.

New FF program- true- so your choices are:
    1) The slippery slope and Lufthansa and not connecting at SFO
    2) EK (no idea which aircraft they use to fly the route you are planning)

I do like EK, however have noticed that the variation in aircraft type and quality is huge.

14. Weighing all options, I might stay with EK. They fly a 777-200LR to LAX with a 3 class configuration. Hopefuuly the flight is overbooked and I get an upgrade to FC!!!

15. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have had an operational upgrade on EK as a gold card member exactly one time from paid business to first.

OY-JFS likes this.
  16. I did get once, though. But I gave up as I was travelling with my wife and she couldn't get. We decided to stay with business class seats and the lady next to my wife was thrilled to move to FC!

17. OY-JFS
    Original Member

OY-JFS Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would have sent the Mrs into F... Would have given you 1000 points with the better half (to be spent in the future :D ).

cennas likes this.