Miles in the Combined United-Continental Program WIll Expire

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by gleff, Jul 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    As I noted in the thread on the new United Explorer Visa
    http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/the-new-united-credit-card-is-the-explorer-card.14533/

... there's an interesting benefit listed there.

I wonder if United-Continental meant for Chase to be breaking this news today?

Here's the card website
    http://www4.chasecreditcards.com/MPConsumer40kAFW.aspx

And here's what it has to say:

Interesting.

2. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't like it......

But for most folks here it's something that will never be a issue....

3. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't like it either but for me, it will be an issue as where I'm unemployed, I severed my CC relationships to keep expenses down.

Freddie Listo likes this.
  4. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't read that as non-credit card holders' miles will expire, just that credit card holders miles won't. It's a logical assumption, but not necessarily a fact.

goalie likes this.
  5. JLSocks
    Original Member

JLSocks Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't say that I'm surprised at all by this.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  6. hungarianhc
    Original Member

hungarianhc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah - don't think it will be an issue for anyone here, but probably an issue for those of us w/ parents / grandparents around!

7. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    To be correct, the current CO program does have expiring miles. The language is there in the program rules. The thing is, CO doesn't enforce that particular aspect... but it is there in case they want to.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not worried about this. If you get to the point in time that the miles expire then you've pretty much already lost the value of the investment, certainly if you look at the RoI perspective including the potential value of having accrued the points elsewhere. Plus it is ridiculously easy to keep the points alive, unlike a program such as TrueBlue where only flying or co-branded CC transactions extend them. Use a tool like GoMiles if you are really worried about them expiring (you should probably use something like it anyways) but this shouldn't be something that rankles folks who know what they're doing with points. If anything we should be somewhat happy as things which keep the costs of running the program down without screwing us over mean better value for us in the meantime.

DeacFlyer1 and LETTERBOY like this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    A dollar in iTunes keeps them alive. It really isn't an issue for the vast majority of the folks who have points unless they simply aren't paying any attention at all.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  10. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    No, agreed, I don't think this is a huge deal. I posted it because it was an answer to a question that folks had about integration, which UA/CO hadn't yet announced. It is a frustration that some people broadly have, not a frustration that any of us are likely to deal with in a meaningful way.

11. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    A friend who almost never flies commented to me the other day that he kept his UA miles alive by buying a magazine subscription with 400 miles. If he can d:) it, anyone can. Having to remember to do so is an annoyance, however.

12. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe oh wise one that mileage transfers keep miles alive, so if anyone out there in mileage expiration land is concerned, I am more than happy to be the recipient of a mileage transfer from his/her account where expiration is imminent. I am pleased as always to serve this great community.:D:p

HeathrowGuy likes this.
  13. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is discussion on FT that flex EQM from the CO Presidents card will expire, too (after three years). Frankly I'm in favor of expiration as long as there are no limits on earning. With fewer RDMs in circulation, award inflation should be limited. And with fewer ways to earn EQM, the number of elites will be limited at the highest tiers. These could be important issues once the merger is complete as there will be A LOT of elites. Not just the total from UA and CO but additional elites who previously split where they credited flights so that a silver in each program is now a gold in the combined program. I am skeptical that there will be any DEQM or similar promos for the next year or two unless there is a serious economic hit like another recession or 9/11.

HeathrowGuy likes this.
  14. corster
    Original Member

corster Silver Member

Status Points:
    As long as it's not as bad as Aeroplan, where your miles expire after either 1 year of inactivity OR 7 years from the date they were earned.... I see no issue with an inactivity expiry, it's not too difficult to keep an account active these days with all the different ways to earn miles.

Big tradeoff for me is if I collect in UA, no credit cards up here in Canada (well, except for going through SPG with a 50% devaluation in points). So I put up with the stupid 7 year thing, even though I hardly ever fly AC these days... actually, I just don't collect points at all anymore.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  15. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Freddie Listo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, but you aced that interview the other day, no? ;)

16. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes but the person I interviewed with was a moron and my gut is telling me I was simply being used for resumé file padding fodder :(

17. unityofsaints

unityofsaints Active Member

Status Points:
    Not a surprise, and not an issue for me. Might make redemption slightly easier though.

LETTERBOY likes this.