Miles for organ donation.

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by LarryInNYC, Apr 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just came across a new opportunity for mileage collection which I haven't seen posted yet. The A. F. Daihy Foundation (which promotes organ donation awareness) is offering "miles credited any United States based airline frequent flier program" in exchange for signing up for organ donation.

The offer has two components. You can get 750 miles simply for signing up as an organ donor. I don't think you have to sign up specifically for this deal, they just want you to submit "proof of organ donor status" by fax or email. Although they don't provide any details about what constitutes "proof", I'm thinking that this might be a photo-copy of your driver's license if that indicates organ donor status in your state. It might even be possible to sign up several times if you're an organ donor in different states although this may not be moral and could possibly create a situation in which, for example, they believe you owe them 14 kidneys or something.

The more lucrative offer is if you actually wind up donating an organ. The web site specifically mentions that "live or cadaver donations" qualify. When you register, you provide both your own mileage program information and that of a beneficiary, so apparently in the event of a cadaverous donation the miles go directly to your named beneficiary. The offer is 50,000 miles for the first organ and 25,000 miles for each additional organ. So two kidneys, two eyes, heart, liver, and both lungs would earn you (or, really, your beneficiary) 225,000 miles!

Obviously, no one likes to think about being in a position to be an organ donor, but this is an opportunity to leave your family in a really advantageous mile situation in the unthinkable does occur.

More details at A. F. Daihy Foundation Miles for Organs site.

2. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let me get this straight.

The bad news is, "Dad died".

The good news is "we're going to Hawaii".

And I thought I was a sick miles-obsessed puppy.

4. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm, you didn't click on the link, did you?

perryplatypus likes this.
  5. FLYERIL
    Original Member

FLYERIL Silver Member

Status Points:
    This April Fool's jokes are getting old. I guess it's better than the 1099 one. I believed the 1099 thread was a joke even before clicking on the title, but it still made me a little nervous just to read the title.

6. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    Big disagree. This joke was awesome! I couldn't click the link fast enough to sign up.

7. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You're right - my bad.

That said, someone posted on FT "125,000 points with first spend on Chase Sapphire". That was a funny April Fool's post. It is custom made for all of us who are so dedicated to miles and I have to imagine every single person on FT clicked on it today.

This one takes a very, very serious topic - not really funny at all to me. YMMV.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  8. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    My apologies, my intention is to satirize the mileage community and not to make light of organ donation. I'm sorry if I inadvertently caused you any distress.

9. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well this is just effing great. Here I am, sitting in a bathtub full of ice, on the phone with US Air to try and score 2 seats in F on Singapore, and you're telling me that this is a joke? I sure hope this one kidney covers me.

/Thought it was funny
    //Organ Donor
    ///YMMV

10. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Now that's funny! And Larry - no sweat - sorry if it came off overdramatic.

11. mailbroad

mailbroad Silver Member

Status Points:
    hee hee