Miles for Fellows

Discussion in 'Kiva | Loans That Change Lives' started by Dreamworks, Mar 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    In speaking to the Kiva member who oversees the Fellows Program. Jakob, the issue of flights came up. Getting the fellows to SF for training and then to and from their post eats about 45% of their cost. Richard and I thought that we could see about getting KLT members to donate miles and come up with itineraries for their flights if they were interested.

Jakob said that he would have the Fellows voluntarily approach us if we were willing to do this. So do we like this idea? If so, maybe in the next few weeks a few of us could talk about how to put it together?

MissBurrill, kiwi, YULtide and 6 others like this.
  2. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did a cost/mile analysis needed to get Fellows to SF for their week-long training and then to their placements based on their KF15 or 16 class in Nov when I met with the Fellows Program staff (Jacob, Dave and Eric) and can try to pull up that file.

Please bear in mind these considerations re: mileage redemption (based on the last class)
    1) most were domestic (US/Canada), so mileage would be 25K per fellow for these individuals.
    2) often the Fellows receive notice one month prior that they have been selected and will be going to SF for training.
    3) their placements are usually within 2 weeks after this period.

#2 and #3 are the only limitations I see but would go a long way to support the program if MPers and travellers in general showed their generosity.

The other thing I asked Jacob about was providing a travel summary guide of things to consider when becoming a Fellow from a MP view. This would be a travel enablers list based on that cycle for accumulating points on a cc, travel savvy info like which airline charges for luggage and at what cost, + other considerations, like inexpensive hotels....

Finally, the easiest way to get info would be to have Jacob post something here and to invite Fellows to come out and seek guidance, so perhaps we can have a thread for each Fellows class where we can help answer their questions.

MissBurrill, kiwi, YULtide and 8 others like this.
  3. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would be willing to sponsor a flight. 25K sounds like a very reasonable donation to me.

YULtide, tondoleo, rehoult and 5 others like this.
  4. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    After some thought, let me revise my offer above.
    Since trips can cost a variety of miles, let me say I will sponsor one Kiva fellow from the U.S. or Canada to get to and from SF for their training.

5. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    I emailed Jacob. At least I think I did. And told him about this thread and gave the link to it.

6. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a fine idea Dreamworks. Thanks M&S for the generous offer of your hard earned miles. Has anyone considered using MPs connections to CC companies or airlines to see if the corporations would consider contributing miles or seats or discounted class fares for this? Additionally, there may be times when a cash purchase of a ticket would be a better contribution for the fellow's travel. A Fellow's Flight Fund. bobsgt can think of a better alliterative moniker.

MissBurrill, YULtide, nime01 and 4 others like this.
  7. Stephen
    Original Member

Stephen Gold Member

Status Points:

It has been/was discussed quite a bit there at the DO.
    There are many hurdles, and the costs to the airlines are very high because there are so many 'worthy causes' it would have a very high overhead to them managing the 'yes/no/maybe/reviews/interviews/etc' associated with the giving/donations. In essence, it would not be likely to get far. Some of the airlines have agreements with the likes of the red cross and such, but these are some of the largest (and I won't even get into the internal politics of that!) nonprofits around and they have the ties, and probably the staff to offload it from the airlines quite a bit.

Randy and some others are working on a platform for it, I will await the details.

8. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for this info. Unfortunately I was only able to make a brief uneventful appearance at the DO reception and was not following all of the DO announcements here or on that Twitter thing.

9. Stephen
    Original Member

Stephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    ah gotcha, I thought you were there!

10. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You may be right. Due to my Tondoleo Daydreaming Disorder I might have been there and did not pay attention to the discussion about this issue.

MissBurrill, YULtide, nime01 and 3 others like this.
  11. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought this was one the best ideas we exited with.

I would feel the starting of a new class would make excellent for planning I think the 19th meets in Aug? I would think there are enough of us willing to donate miles and such that it would make for an excellent way for say each member to sponsor a fellow and have another DO right as training ends, as we could then put a face to a name and meet all of the people we have sponsored.

12. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think it would be a great team goal to find a Milepointer to sponsor a flight to and from SFO for every Fellow in the next class. For me, doing it with miles is much easier than doing it with cash. But if there are those who would prefer to donate cash, then our Kiva Mutual fund is already set up to make such things happen.

13. JacobKFP

JacobKFP Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi All,
    I am thrilled by your interest and generosity! It was truly inspiring to meet many of you on Sat at the Kiva DO. My team and I just began interviews today for KF18. This is a big crunch time for us as me, Eric, and Dave (the KFP staff) conduct +/-70 interviews in the next few weeks. But as we get closer to knowing who will be in KF18, and where they will be going, I will surely get the word out about this awesome group!
    Thanks again for your support!
    Jacob Schultz
    Kiva Fellows Program Manager

14. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Jacob for posting here. We look forward to working with you!

MissBurrill, nime01, YULtide and 2 others like this.
  15. horseguy

horseguy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. If we can get this organized, we'll take care of one fellow as well.

MissBurrill, YULtide, nime01 and 2 others like this.
  16. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I just realized that some/most Kiva Fellows go straight from their training in SF to the field. So, it may be that what's needed mostly are miles for overseas flights. Anyway, we'll need more info about what is needed for each fellow (which probably varies depending on where they are coming from and where their fellowship will be held).

17. horseguy

horseguy Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK, we'll do that. If I understand this, the problem is:

A == Home

B == Kiva in SFO

C == Country where fellow will be working.

So, we need to get three tickets in total. These would be:

A to B. Fellow trains at Kiva.

B to C. Fellow works in the field.

C to A. Fellow comes home.

We'll use miles for a fellow for that cycle in the next class.

18. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys,

Jacob also mentioned the idea of trying to get resident fellows for more dangerous areas, like a Somalian Fellow who lives in MOG. He said the biggest problem is getting them to SFO for training. So if they have any of those, that's just a R/T from their home for 2 weeks in San Fran.

19. JacobKFP

JacobKFP Active Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, thanks for chiming in horseguy. You're right. The only wrinkle is that some fellows will return home prior to going to the field. But I imagine there will be less this summer, especially for participants that are in graduate school that will have tighter timelines. I will be sure to post here a list of fellows and their travel plans (and ask them to join themselves) as more is known about the next class. In other words: you'll know the A's, B's and C's not long after I do.
    Best,
    Jacob Schultz

20. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the update.
    How many fellows in the June class? 15 - 20?

21. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I met with the Kiva Fellows Program in Nov and we had discussed the travel budget for Fellows (which accounts for 31% of the Fellows costs). I am providing an analysis of the miles needed to get Fellows to SF for training and the # miles to get fellows to their sites.

KF travel analysis.jpg

22. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although I could not get data for the Program for RT using the specific date of their placements, here is a table of cost for a ticket with a 4 month outbound/return window, as well as the cost in miles using their home base and their placement location.

KF16 travel cost.jpg

23. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the info canucklehead. Since this team has raised over $2M for Kiva loans, I expect that 1-2 M in miles (or cash) should be a piece of cake.
    When I made my offer in posts # 3 and 4, I was thinking small - just sponsoring a Kiva fellow to and from training in SF. But because i sometimes hang out in these bulletin boards and blogs that have info on how to easily acquire miles, a variety of ways to fatten my mileage accounts have come to me in the past couple of days. Strange how that works, you know...........:)
    Anyway, my commitment is still to sponsor 1 fellow - to training, to the field and then back home.
    I've already survived emptying out my bank account. I'm ready to try emptying out a mileage account.
    Even if I don't have any more miles, I'll still have my smiles. :D

24. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you really think Mr. Petersen will award you Unobtanium status once you deplete your "miles" assets? You have a better chance of being granted ainthood for this type of selfless act. Please don't end up on miles skid row. I've been there. It is ugly. Besides, how will you be able to upgrade your flight to the Charleston DO without your cache of miles?

25. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]