Miles for awards booking

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by vardievard, Oct 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. vardievard

vardievard Active Member

Status Points:
    My girlfriend and I are going to Hawaii next week on UA and have tagged on a free one-way to Miami. We're on same flights, both booked with miles, but hers was booked using her mother's miles account.
    When I look at her itinerary it states

"MileagePlus Members: Upon completion of this itinerary, you will earn up to 11,080 award miles.*"

Anyone have any idea how this is possible? Also wanted to point out that the booking initially didn't link to her UA online account so we had to manually search for it and then use the add itinerary function for it to show up under her name. To add to the confusion, when I look at passenger details for the booking it has all her correct info except the UA FF account is actually her mother's #. I'd wait to see if these actually post but because all segments won't be done til January I was impatient and hoping someone has an answer earlier!

Thanks

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a bug. It's highly unlikely that you'll actually get miles. (I certainly never did when it showed that message)

marcwint55 likes this.
  3. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you use the Mileage Maximizer though, you can buy mileage against even a reward itinerary. But as HaveMilesWilllTravel says, a website bug improperly shows mileage earnings in a variety of situations, yours included.

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've seen that message often, but never got a mile for it. The only time I ever got miles for an award ticket was one time when my AA flight went mx. They put me on CO, and I got full OnePass mileage credit for it. Better yet, I was on an F award, and CO put me in E for the final leg, IAH-DFW. AA gave me half my Aadvantage miles back for the downgrade. :cool:

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a similar situation many years ago and we were taken off of the plane after boarding as they said we had not paid for the ticket. After explaining that miles were used, it took them almost 15 minutes to confirm it and they almost sent the flight off without us.

6. iterfacio12

iterfacio12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That must have been more than a little aggravating. Having to actually explain to the FA, "yes, I really purchased (with miles) the ticket, I'm not an air travel hobo!".

marcwint55 and Flyer1976 like this.
  7. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife was extremely embarassed and it was not a good way to start a vacation.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since the taking of miles for the most part is out of our control, and since the ticket should only be issued upon payment, I'd have been rather unhappy if this had happened to me.

marcwint55 likes this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, technically 0 qualifies as up to 11,080. ;)

The way they present that data has been craptacular for a long time.

desamo and ssullivan like this.
  10. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good Luck, but you have nearly no chance of earning on this flight!