Miles earned for direct flight with stop?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by gobluetwo, Feb 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had always just assumed that a direct flight with a stop (i.e., single flight number, but a stop and/or plane change) would earn the mileage for the non-stop flight. However, my admin just booked me a flight TPA-ORD with a stop in IAD and the miles earned in My Reservations is showing 1399, as opposed to the expected 1012 for the non-stop. Is this just a glitch in the display, or do you think I'd actually have a case to plead for the extra miles if only the non-stop mileage posts?

Ok, so in the grand scheme of things, it should not really make a difference (unless I somehow end up 300 miles short of my goal!), but I am curious about this. I wouldn't put it past being a site glitch, but a guy can always hope :)

2. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Didn't you get more miles than you expected?

IME, I get credit for the actual route flown -- so if you stop in IAD, you will get TPA-IAD-ORD, not TPA-ORD.

gobluetwo likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    When on UA and crediting to UA the mileage earnt is per segment, not the end-point distances.

It is not yet known what the policy will be post-3/3.

gobluetwo, goalie and genemk2 like this.
  4. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, the trip is not until next week, so I haven't gotten the miles just yet ;)

Good to hear, though, that you received actual route credit rather than the non-stop mileage. That's a pleasant surprise.

5. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup-it used to be that when booking a direct flight with UA you rec'd point to point mileage unless you booked it using multi-city and selected each segment of the direct flight separately in order to receive actual mileage but that changed about a year or two ago. But as you note, post 3/3 will be an unknown...... (tho my gut is telling me that it might be another "change we're supposed to like" <feh>)

gobluetwo likes this.
  6. flyingbrick
    Original Member

flyingbrick Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anybody have any post 3/3 "direct" flights post yet? I'm also guessing the connection miles will just silently cease to exist.