MilePoint Wine DO in Orlando (this July) - any interest....???

Discussion in 'Meetups' started by Gaucho, May 31, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Im throwing this out as an idea (a crazy one perhaps?)... wondering if we have any serious Wine Aficionados that reside in (and/or are willing to travel to) Orlando...?

I will be in town for 2 weeks starting July 14th and can work with a couple of folks to see if we can perhaps put something like this together...? I guess the first issue at hand is to try to see if there is enough "preliminary" interest in such an event - we could then work on the exact format/details, etc. I will in in Orlando for a family vacation trip so I will have to work around various issues but, if there is enough interest, I will do my best to try to make this work.

In the interest of proper disclosure, I of course have a "horse" in this race as I am ITB (Im an EZE based Wine Merchant). Should there be interest I would be able to have a series of Argentine Wineries "sponsor" the wines for this tasting event.

Look forward to hearing from anybody that would be "game" for this.....

IDGflygirl, sobore, skyvan and 4 others like this.
  2. Mrlasssen

Mrlasssen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am interested, where would it be held?

Gaucho, uggboy and duxflyer like this.
  3. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    ITB = In The Business.

If only your trip was a week earlier. :(

Gaucho and uggboy like this.
  4. WheelchairTravel

WheelchairTravel Active Member

Status Points:
    It is possible that I will have a few days home in Florida, the 17th to 20th of July. Orlando is a quick hop for me. I enjoy wine, but wouldn't call myself a connoisseur by any means.

Gaucho and uggboy like this.
  5. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dan, thanks for the ITB clarification, I should have known better than to just assume everybody else knows what Im talking about..... :cool:

Sorry to hear my trip comes to late for you..... but all tickets are issued and also the Kid's winter vacation schedule is fixed in stone so you can imagine what sort of "flexibility" I have with my calendar. Lets hope we can arrange to match our timing for my next US trip.

6. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to all that have responded so far... look forward to comments from others also. As I say above, this is still very much an idea that Ive thrown out. My thinking was that once we have a better idea as to how much "critical mass" we have and can perhaps find consensus on which day is best to arrange this, we can move to the next state. In an ideal world, someone from Orlando (or someone with good local contacts) will be able to assist in finding a restaurant that will accommodate a group of wine lovers, perhaps waive the corkage fee and offer a set menu. This way, each person attending would pay their own way for dinner and I would comp the wines for the tasting.

There are several other ways to arrange this but I think that the restaurant approach is the best solution.... alas, we are still in the initial stages of this and I think we need to wait for another few serious grape juice fans to enroll and/or chime in on this "crazy" idea.

Cheers from EZE,
    Alex

7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    This time or another (cowdo?) we will be in on the action at some point.

Gaucho likes this.
  8. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anybody else interested in this informal wine event.....??

9. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm always interested. Last minute scheduling (work or the +1) makes planning difficult. So at this point the last half of July looks good and I am willing flug on down and swill:D a little vino.

Gaucho likes this.
  10. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent !!! who else is "game" for this...????

11. Mrlasssen

Mrlasssen Silver Member

Status Points:
    How is this event shaping up, have you found a location?

Gaucho likes this.
  12. monitor
    Original Member

monitor Gold Member

Status Points:
    This would be on my radar if it were for the weekend July 25-26. July is very busy for us but if that date is set, I will do my best to move things around a bit to get up to Orlando, a place that we generally consider to be "off limits." :D

It has become a Yogi Berraism in South Florida. "That place has become so popular that nobody goes there anymore."

Gaucho and IDGflygirl like this.
  13. Misplaced Canuck

Misplaced Canuck Silver Member

Status Points:
    Alex,
    We are also interested as Orlando is only an hour away and it's been a few years since we've seen you! Let us know when you're planning on setting this up!
    Catherine :)

Gaucho likes this.
  14. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the new replies and the added interest..... so, I think we need to try to come up with a consensus about a suitable date for this. Then, does anybody have good restaurant contacts in Orlando...? In an ideal world, we would find a restaurant that would allow up to bring wine and waive corkage..... any hints, tips or ideas...??

15. monitor
    Original Member

monitor Gold Member

Status Points:
    We know little or nothing about the restaurant scene in Orlando but may be able to inquire. What I do remember though is that regular local people who want to go out in that town frequently wind up on a street in Winter Park where there are a string of interesting places. bdnyc is also likely to come on that weekend. If the 24th (preferred) or the 25th will be the date you set, we are very, very likely to be able to get there.

Gaucho likes this.
  16. monitor
    Original Member

monitor Gold Member

Status Points:
    We have some more interest. Ed (Vulcan on FlyerTalk) and Sondra live a few miles north of Tampa and would like to come down for a wine dinner if that 24-25July weekend were chosen.

17. Why not try the excllent africa wines at Boma have not been but been hearing good things and go to the food and wine festival

18. I would go to the Four Seasons Orlando and stay there

19. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I need "local" assistance with venue selection and hopefully contacts to those that make decisions at the venue re. corkage fee.... anybody have any concrete leads..???

20. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Folks, Im afraid that this event will not be happening. My lack of local contacts and other complications have gotten in the way. Hope to be able to arrange for one of these events the next time Im in the US.

Thanks to all those that posted interest and safe travels to all !!!

21. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mi Amigo.

There's always a next time. WineDo9 takes place in NYC in June 2016.

Gaucho likes this.
  22. monitor
    Original Member

monitor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I sure wish that I could have helped with local information but I struck out on a couple of leads.

Have a wonderful vacation, Gaucho, and we hope to see you soon.

23. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed !!

24. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    No worries, will try to give more time to organize the next event....