Resolved Milepoint threads are REALLY hard to read

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by andymo99, Mar 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I've been lurking here for a couple of days, and thinking about my participation level. I have to say that my biggest concern with MP so far (other than the name always making me think of United Mileage Plus) is that each thread is just so darn hard to read.

It really isn't easy to wade through all of the icons, graphics, avatars, advertisements and super long signatures to identify the content. It is hard to know where one post ends and the next begins. (I exaggerate a bit, but it does take longer, and more effort, than it should.)

I don't know if it is frowned upon to compare vs. FT here, but in comparison, those threads are just so neat and clean (aesthetics/not content) and easy to parse through. Not to mention that it looks especially sleek w/o ads which I can avoid for like $10 per year.

I have seen other (non-travel) bulletin boards over the years with all the bells and whistles we are seeing here, and each time I have the same reaction: "This is just so juvenile looking." And to be honest, it affects my perception of the content and my user experience.

I know many people have worked hard in setting up Milepoint, and I wish you well. I just want to add my constructive criticism in case it is helpful in incorporating to your plans. I honestly think that this "look and feel" issue is my biggest deterrent to participating at present. (Lack of 15M posts/10+ years of content is second, but not much you can do about that.)

2. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP! Personally I have no problem reading the posts on MP, nor do I understand the "junvenile" looking aspect, but each to their own personal preference.

I hope you spend some time here and I think you will find great content and a great community. Hope to see you around.

3. Chic Silber
    Original Member

Chic Silber Silver Member

Status Points:
    Probably because it's just getting started but the social wordplay

seems to be the primary draw for so many of the members

I certainly hope that we get to more pertinent content so that

we can all learn & share useful travel enhancements

The sickening multiple threads for ALL THAT KVS KRAP

should have all been shut down except that the thread count

seems to be as important as in Egyptian Cotton

I will remain optimistic for a while

4. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Always appreciate a members perspective and thought I'd try to give you another perspective. My own experience is that milepoint is extremely easier on the eyes easier to read but then again, i'm more familiar with my options. So if you want to follow along, here's a few things to consider:
    1) super long signatures. Actually, if you will follow along with this video, you'll see just how easy it is to modify your preferences so that you don't actually haver to see them, but with a simple click (onto the members avatar) you can still see the signature if you want. So, the option is yours and perhaps you'd like to try it. Here's is the video from our member FAQ:
    http://vimeo.com/20489937
    2) w/o ads. Actually someone else mentioned that and we did a test comparison and you'll see here that we have actually went out of our way to minimalize the ads on milepoint vs. other websites:
    http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/answered-too-many-display-ads.2633/#post-47731
    facts .... 33-73% fewer ads. But that's not all. In a previous post i do mention that we actually have three ways that members can avoid ads if they would like, vs. two typically elsewhere. Her's that previous post:
    http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/answered-too-many-display-ads.2633/page-2#post-119484
    so it is coming if you like what i did on FlyerTalk. But, we're really more proud that as you contribute to milepoint over time, you'll actually be rewarded for contributing relevant content and earn an ad-free experience. In this listing, you'll find the benefit here:
    http://milepoint.com/forums/help/trophies
    3) As for the Avatars. A couple thoughts. They have become so common on other applications that the nearly one billion users of facebook and twitter seem to not have a problem with the concept and it really has become the more common default for any modern communication application. But, having noted that, now forget it as i certainly don't think that one has to be a user or fan of facebook to appreciate Avatars. On other travel websites, you see a name and usually a long and winding listing of various attributes that member is associated of and flaunting. Over time, with conversion text mistakes and the listing of lawnmower of the month club membership, that section to the left has become pretty boring or at the least ineffective. What we decided upon is the very clean and instantly noticeable visual reference to the member posting it. My personal preference is that i love the clean look to the left that shows me the single most important thing about the post ... who posted it. If i want or need to know more, a simple click on the Avatar and i have it, but it's sort of like hiding signatures (!) it's not there if i don't want it there. When to put this clean interface against the options you have to view when you want other information and as well what is current, I find milepoint to be miles ahead of any other interface out there. I chose this platform for that reason and believe i made the right choice.

I'm certainly disappointed that our interface seems juvenile to you. The more common comments I have read is that everything else (other websites) seems so outdated and old and cluttered. But to each their own and once you experiment with hiding signatures and some other things, hopefully that will make you feel more comfortable here but if not, wherever you post, do well to help others and learn more for your travel knowledge.

As for lack of 15M posts. That's kind of like the argument about mega threads ... truth is, it's often only the most recent information that is important and valuable and that's what we are trying to build here.

Again thanks for the observations and I never feel bad if another website fits you better—my wish and why I've started a few of these is that they become valuable to helping you become a better and more knowledgeable frequent flyer.

Erik, Funtodoimpossible and Travelman like this.
  5. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Another comment and perhaps it's been covered in another thread. If so I apologize for the repeat question.

I'm viewing MP on a 27" monitor but there is at least 6" of blank space on either side of the content. And this is regardless of the browser I use.

As a comparison, FT fills my screen from side to side. And I personally prefer a fuller screen (less scrolling among other reasons).

Is there something coming into play here that I'm not aware of? Like making the site more readable for mobile devices? Or perhaps it has something to do with the ads which, thankfully, are not an issue for me. :)

The MP home screen with the new logo fills my screen but it's just when I go to the forums and threads that the white space appears.

Is their an easy fix or a tweak for this?

6. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    as for mobile, we are waiting for the software platform to be in a final release (this release is not yet 'Gold') and then we are hearing there will be a very nice mobile platform to come. as you might imagine, with all the detail that this platform strives to be modern and current, it will certainly have a great mobile that will likely won't be app dependent and will work for everyone. the other issue i think one of the admins can speak to as it is a little beyond my direct knowledge on the tech side. Appreciate the questions.

Travelman likes this.
  7. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    Hey there Cholula, we will have a solution that will allow for a "wide screen" experience with the template soon, though we don't want to make a change like this for everyone. The solution will give users the option to select, full width vs. constrained width.

8. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Thanks to both of you for the quick response! Mucho appreciated.

I'll be patient. :)

Travelman likes this.
  9. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tim, once again thanks for looking into providing options that we can select as preferences to tailor our use of the site to our particular situation.

Cholula likes this.
  10. Chic Silber
    Original Member

Chic Silber Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Tim & Randy

I don't share all of the previous complaints (mostly those few of my own)

PLEASE dump all the KVS krap

I'm certainly looking forward to a bright future

11. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    Cholula, just wanted to give you heads up here that you can now select a different style that has a fluid width like you were looking for. To do this:

1. Go to your preferences.
    2. Change your Style to "MilePoint Fluid Width Style".
    3. And save.
    And you should be good to go. I'll add a reference to this in the Suggestion master list as I don't think that this suggestion actually made it into the list yet.

Junca likes this.
  12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a very nice change!!

13. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just wanted to add you do not need to go to preferences to do this ... the option you are using is also listed inthe horizontal bar at the bottom of the page ... if you click on the current style it brings up the options you can choose from.

Junca likes this.
  14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any chance that the "Latest" tread title can be expanded in length dynamically in this layout? There is a lot of dead space in the center of the screen on any index page because the thread title section appears to be a fixed width.