Milepoint SFO Kiva Do: Wish list of topics to be addressed

Discussion in 'Kiva | Loans That Change Lives' started by milchap, Oct 31, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    In preparation for our March 2012 Milepoint SFO Kiva Do, it is perhaps time to a thread with topics/items that our team would like to be addressed either in general sessions or breakout sessions.

Let me start with my list:

• The interest charged to microloaners. The field agents interest charges are all over the proverbial map. 20% ------- > 70% I need to understand this point.
    • Expiring loans. Is there a better way to address the issue?
    • What is needed for Kiva to expand to more countries?
    I will add other topics as they come to my mind.

2. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you mean March 2012

3. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amended. :)
    Thanks.

4. Stephen
    Original Member

Stephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Basket expiration forced after 15 minutes, user sign out, or session force end, stop keeping basket holds for hours.

ticketmaster, and several other sport ticket vendors actually have 'countdowns' for how long you have to complete the checkout process before the tickets return to sale, that would be amazing!

5. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    This thread becomes very important in the formulation of the agenda for the Do .
    The SFO HQ Kiva team needs to know what are our questions, our interests, our needs.
    We have the occasion to shape the content of the agenda.....
    and this thread is our chance to give our input,
    So......what are our expectations of the Milepoint Kiva SFO do?

6. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would prefer to first hear an outline of your discussions with Kiva folks this week, specially to know how much they will participate at the DO.

7. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can rest assured that the team is a strong participant in the DO. They need to know what our interests and needs to tailor their presentations to our group.
    So M&S go at it and speak out . :p

8. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kiva is very committed to this Do. They will be providing speakers from Kiva (and most likely Matt or Premal). On the MP and other Kiva team (FofBH, LLL, etc) point, I would love to have some of our leaders involved with or giving talks. We will also have breakout sessions where we can discuss more niche issues. Personally, I would like to hear about the Fellows program and how I (and hopefully, we) can help them get to where they need to go, monetarily and travel-wise.

Kiva has wanted to hold a meeting like this for a while, but have been constrained with their rapid growth and other logistic issues, so this will be a great opportunity for them to develop a template for future meetings. As the MP team and the frequent flyer community are more apt to fly to a destination to meet each other and to learn together, we are a great target audience (that, and our crazy great lending habits :D). Big dream ideas include recording this for them so they can get it out to their mega-loaners (like some of our esteemed members), corporate involvement, a legacy we can provide to help their fellows.

Let me throw out some of things I think will happen and we will be working with Kiva to finalize a speaker list and program very soon. Please provide as much input as possible onto what I post here:

Opening talk with Premal or Matt
    Discussion of Community Support with Chelsa Bocci
    The mechanics of a Kiva Loan
    Donations to Kiva - importance of our donations, issues with international donations
    The Fellows process - selection, training prior to placement, followup
    Insight from the Field Partners (preference for international speakers)
    Fellows in the Field
    Group Discussion with Kiva Team leaders -- Why I loan?
    Teams Loaning together in support
    MP training session - maximizing the Kiva travel budget with frequent flyer tips

Some sessions, like the FP discussions should have more than one panelist.

Breakout sessions topics at the end of each day
    Whiteboard summaries of how Kiva and their teams can help out.
    Computers for MoneyBomb II - Man the MoneyBomb Stations

At the Kiva meeting, we also discussed having more intimate focus groups where interested DOers can meet with respective Kiva staff to discuss things they would like to see, or get changed, like getting donation receipts for charitable donations to Kiva for those outside the US.

We can use this thread, as well as others to come up with some questions in advance, and if possible see some resolution of some problems before that.

9. nime01
    Original Member

nime01 Gold Member

Status Points:
    A lot of groundbreaking work is being done here!
    Kudos to canucklehead, jbcarioca and milchap.

10. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Canucklehead, your post outlines just about everything I have thought of. I'm especially thrilled to hear that Matt or Premal will talk about and that this gathering will set a precedent/template for future Kiva interaction with lenders. Fantastic news all around!
    Much thanks to you, Jbcarioca and milchap for all your advance work and meeting with Kiva folks.
    I am thrilled and inspired, and will certainly come up with more ideas now. :)

11. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am kinda bored while in the air, so I started some additional planning and want to know if there is interest in these social events. To keep things simple, these events are designed for minimal planning by MP and Kiva.

These events will occur outside the main agenda we are planning for Fri and Sat's meeting. With the help of some local people, I am compiling a list of sites to see and tours that offered for free, this will be of interest for +1s, Thurs, and Sun for those who wish to spend a little more time in SF.

1) As there will be a few +1s attending all the sessions, will people be interested in city tours or walks. These will include free admission and tour of the Japanese Tea Garden (Fri morning only), Chinatown tour.... The tours are run by volunteers (donations appreciated) and what we can do is provide a list and contact info.

2) Additional Microfinance info - although Kiva is a large organization, other MF entrepreneurs have benefitted from these programs. At one of the last MF meetings in SF, they had a small walking tour of MF recipients in the city core.

3) Social on Thurs with Kiva staff

4) Visit to Kiva HQ. They are now in the Folsom area but will be moving to Market Street this month.