MilePoint Not Considered Relevant By Alaska Airlines

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by ItsADryCold, Mar 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

?

Is MilePoint A Must-Read Website For You?

Poll closed Apr 4, 2011.
  1. Yes.

61.3%
  2. Yes, but I'm not sure for how much longer.

9.7%
  3. No.

4.8%
  4. No, but I'm keeping an open mind.

24.2%
  1. ItsADryCold
    Original Member

ItsADryCold Silver Member

Status Points:
    When Alaska Airlines' computer system crashed over this past weekend, their corporate communications people were all over FlyerTalk. They even posted a YouTube video by their CEO.

Alas, there was little in the way of useful information here on MP and nothing posted by the airline itself.

If MilePoint simply is not a must-read for the airlines, why should it be a must-read for frequent flyers?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    For this one need wait a little longer than one month. It takes longer than that to update the airline response systems. Realistically we need to have at least six months of patience, don't we?.

gobluetwo, PAinNY, weinskkb and 3 others like this.
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Actually the time lag is certainly an interesting one here. Remember, the issue over the weekend was an airline operations one, not a Mileage Plan issue.

I can tell you that the Mileage Plan folks are very much aware, engaged, and enthusiastic about Milepoint.

I suspect the operations folks take longer to internalize that there's a new community, especially since the folks that people like Randy likely know best are on the mileage side of things.

MrsBobSgt, Colonel G, PAinNY and 5 others like this.
  4. ItsADryCold
    Original Member

Status Points:
    All I know is that the AS forum was claimed by an AS operations employee "in the name of the Eskimo" yet that same worker only posted to FT in a time of crisis.

5. weinskkb
    Original Member

weinskkb Silver Member

Status Points:
    This site is growing very quickly. Look at the number of members who are joining everyday. These are the same people who can make the site contain more information. Maybe whoever was posting on another site should join this site. It is a good thing to have more than one resource. Other explanations are given above. Only you can decide if this site is worth it to you, but give it time. Glad you have taken the time to join.

6. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well posted... I agree 100%

PAinNY, Chimpy and weinskkb like this.
  7. ScottC
    Original Member

ScottC Silver Member

Status Points:
    But how many members ONLY read the posts here and do not read Flyertalk?

I think Alaska Airlines isn't stupid - they know where their audience is, and they see that anyone here, is still active on FT as well.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  8. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe that person was working her butt off trying to get content onto the website to get information out to the rest of the world that may or may not go to Flyertalk or Milepoint to get their up to second information on the state of airline ops.

Get real.

RedTape likes this.
  9. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    it takes time. FT has been around for a very long time but MP is new but will have reps in due course.

Chimpy likes this.
  10. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    This could get a little silly. Of course you noted that a regular member of milepoint posted something about the problem with AS at 11:14 am, and that the first regular member of FlyerTalk did not post anything about it until 11:51 am. Guess that means that milepoint members are more observant and active sooner?
    And of course you did notice that when United Airlines decided to post about their recent merger of accounts for members that they posted that news first on milepoint than anywhere else? (OK, it was only a minute earlier, but still ...) That must mean something ...
    Like I say, it might get a little silly. Today marks our 28th day as a budding resource for the frequent flyer ... I can't wait until tomorrow.

11. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The corporate world doesn't always move fast in recognizing and approving new modes of communication. MP is very new; how well can a corporation vett something and decide upon policy in 28 days?

So tomorrow it will be 3.5% older than today; and in another week it will be 25% older. That is very fast growth. Eventually the airlines will realize they are being left behind, and they'll scramble to try to get a seat on this flight.
    :D

12. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Additionally, how many of these people just signed up for the chance to win an ipad?

k2o likes this.
  13. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    But they stand to lose twice , 1st if they didnt win an iPod and 2nd for not being an active poster or lurker on MP

ralfkrippner and Gargoyle like this.
  14. ItsADryCold
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Only if you let it, Randy. I think ScottC is on target when he writes:

This isn't about Site 'A' having information a few seconds before site 'B'. This is about Site 'B' not having the information, making it necessary to visit Site 'A'. You can't force the airlines to post updates, but Randy certainly has enough stroke in the industry to make sure MP is on the distribution list for important things like the recent AS computer crash. I want MP to succeed, but it'll take a lot of actionable criticism on the part of this new community to help make that happen.

15. Open Fly
    Original Member

Open Fly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Better yet, wait a year and see which site the airlines will be jumping all over to post their notices on.

It has happened many times before when people moved from an old site (similar to FT) to a new site (similar to MP), felt more comfortable with the new site and stopped frequenting the old site. Eventually the old site gets marginalized and becomes irrelevant. I would hope that doesn't happen to FT, but quite a few of the transfers from the FT Airline forums seem to like this site better so far.

Time will tell.:cool:

16. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    It only stands to reason that a site that has been around for over a decade has more information than a site that has been around for a month. I agree that it is up to the membership of this new community to make it thrive, and i think it will get there in due time.
    I don't see why either your first or second points need to be an either/or situation. Airlines can and likely will post on both in the future. And people will probably read and post on both in the future. I've been coming to MP first, but still do read FT mainly for the more robust airline-specific discussions. And given the sheer size of FT, I don't think they're in any danger of becoming irrelevant any time soon.

As an aside, I was a little put off by the look/feel of MilePoint when I first joined, but I have to say that it has really grown on me and now I cringe a little when I visit the old vBulletin (or similar style) boards.

17. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    This was my first thought. I'd rather that the person in question be working her butt off all weekend to get things back in order than to post about it here. First things first.

AS far outperformed WN in addressing the operational issues with passengers, (see http://crankyflier.com/2011/03/28/alaska-shows-how-to-communicate-when-things-go-wrong/) and I have no doubt that larger carriers wouldn't have responded as quickly and openly as AS did. So MP wasn't a part of that plan, so what? When something of this nature occurs, bang for buck is what matters, and being only a month old, MP isn't there yet. Perhaps in the future (and hopefully this will not happen again) MP will be part of that. However, one shouldn't jump to the conclusion that AS considers MP irrelevant, one would break their legs.

18. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    What this all boils down to is that we are still in an instant-gratification world.

It's going to take time for Milepoint to become the force, when exactly, who knows.

But it's NOT going to happen overnight. As Randy has said many times both directly and indirectly, it's the content that plays a HUGE portion of sites like Milepoint.

Patience.

tcook052 likes this.
  19. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let's keep thing in perspective here. This wasn't a case of AS officially notifying FT, but instead a case where a long-time FT member, who happens to be an employee of AS, shared what she knew.

I was very much involved with this issue as I had several employees, in addition to Hunki and I, who were fying AS last weekend. We checked the available information at both frequent flyer sites, as well as on the Alaska website, and KING 5. There really was no more useful nformation available one place than the other.

About the only thing that really helped was to hit one of the lucky moments when the AS flight tracker was working, so you could set up flight tracker. Even that information was sketchy, as it too was tied into the computer system.

Of course, the whole problem was exacerbated by the fact that it happend over spring break when almost all fligihts were already booked to capacity, leaving very few possibilities for rebooking. While some folks were delayed by a couple of days, overall AS did an excellent job of handling the crisis.

20. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:

ScottC is correct in this regard, the Alaska forum here is ~20 regulars nearly all at least semi-active on FT. MP also has some growth ahead to be the definitive first source for airline news. My current usage is to read FT to get the facts and scoops and then come over here for discussion of the news.