Bug Report Milepoint keeps logging me out

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Oct 31, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    At work, I choose to not be permanently logged into MP. When I do want to post something I log in explicitly. Quite often (most of the time) I can then write my post or reply, but when I try to post it (just a minute or two after authenticating), the site pops up the "You are not logged in, please authenticate" dialog. This is a fairly recent behavior change as far as I can tell. I see the same problem on my work laptop, my personal laptop, and my Chrome box. All are running the Chrome browser.

(and now I am going to hit "Create Thread" and fully expect to be asked to reauthenticate)

Newscience likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    milepoint.png

Here's an example from a minute ago. Logged in, wrote four words and a smiley, hit "Post Reply" and the site had already forgotten who I was. Alzheimers?

Newscience likes this.
  3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    DYKWIA?

(Posted from my milepoint enabled iPhone 6]

4. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems to be an issue with how the cookies are being handled. Is your browser jumping you between SSL and non SSL sessions automatically? (If you do use MP's SSLs site that is)

If you login using a HTTP session and your browser jumps you to HTTPS the cookie session ID was probably not passed on correctly. If that's the case the dev's will need to modify on how it works on their site

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I am not using the SSL site. Didn't even know there is one. Interesting. Also interesting that the login screen http://milepoint.com/forums/login/ isn't using SSL :eek: (I had not paid enough attention to that).

I will keep an eye on that, but I suspect that I never actually switch to https since I start(ed) browsing the http site, then logged in via the non-https login screen, and then presumably always stayed in http mode.

Edit: ... and again, while posting this. Still in http mode.
    milepoint2.png

Newscience likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I just switched to the secure site, logged in (via secure login), posted a message (or tried to) and got the same problem.

Newscience likes this.
  7. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you try logging in using a clean browser besides Chrome? (No extensions nothing)

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No. But I started using a different computer (my personal machine) this afternoon and so far haven't seen it there. Same browser version, same extensions. Perhaps I will just treat it as a clue from MP for me to not post anything from work since it's now twice as much work :)

(I could also clear the cookies and cache, I suppose, and see if that makes a difference)

Edit: posting this message on my "working" computer failed the same way, so it's not the machine or its cookies. Perhaps the corporate firewall that I have to go through? (though that would be somewhat surprising). Or truly a MP bug?

Newscience and Sammich like this.
  9. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since this is not happening to other users assuming there's nothing wrong with how MP deploys it's session cookies.

Also since I can't and don't have knowledge of how your corporate internet environment works. It's really hard to pinpoint where it's coming from.

Best is to run it on a home internet connection with a fresh browser (no extensions nothing and go from there). Something is interfering with how the cookie session works because that's the only method the forum uses to allow you to post without having to re login.

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Posting this from home now, with a different browser (FF) but still going through the corporate proxy (vpn'ed in). Let's see if the problem reproduces. Earlier tonight I posted a few times with Chrome on the same machine without VPN/Proxy and didn't see any issues. Can't quite imagine how the proxy would interfere with the cookies (that would cause a ton of other problems for a lot of other people, in all likelihood).

Edit: Nope, posted fine... but continuing to test.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Another test. Chrome, with proxy, but after clearing all MP cookies.

Result: no reauth required.

12. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    So it's working now?

Newscience likes this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Nope. Cleared all cookies and browser cache on my work laptop today. Still seeing the same problem.

Sammich likes this.
  14. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm interesting. Perhaps someone on the MP side could answer your question more as they know the site's infrastructure. Sorry mate. :(

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.