Milepoint is a miracle site !

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by milchap, Jul 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Milepoint has been in service for about a year and half.

The site has established itself as a forum for discussion of travel related issues and concerns that is respecful of many views and opinions..... and mainly free of the bun fights and pettyness that one finds elsewhere.

The naysayers proclaimed that changing the culture of travel websites was quasi impossible and that MP would soon slip into raucous discussions characterized by intolerance of other opinions and lack of respect for diversity.

Well it seems that the prophets of doom are false prophets.

MP has revealed itself to be a vibrant community of travellers either for business or leisure strongly motivated to help each other. MP is not only a community of travellers but also a community caring for the less fortunate. The resounding success of the Milepoint Kiva Lending team and other charities has positively impacted our world a step at a time.

The success of various DOs and gatherings have cemented friendships and networking opportunies.

Milepoint is a vibrant community and a pleasure to either post to or even lurk on the the various threads.

Milepoint is indeed a small miracle......a miracle thanks to the generous and strong leadership from HOM and the daily respectful contributions of countless travellers .

And they said that the marriage of a team's dream and a community of passionate travellers would not last........ :D

Ad multos annos !

2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Throw in the generosity of its members and their willingness to support causes and you have the ultimate site.
    A site where there never has, and never will be a stupid question asked. Have to love that! :)

Tenmoc, iterfacio12, pcarol and 21 others like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is one of the great pleasures here. The warm and supportive treatment of newbies here on MilePoint is one of the best features. Even in the 'insider' threads new people are welcomed and the traditions of the thread are explained. I do so very much like that!:)
    Thanks for posting this milchap. One of the daily treats here on MP is the good will displayed to all, even people who were/are antagonistic to each other on TOBB. Some people have bemoaned the lack of content here but that problem is being solved.

At 18 months most people of our species can barely talk or walk, and they've not learned to share either. Our wildly successful DO's prove we can walk. They also prove most of us can talk. We all have proven we can write and often read also. We certainly do share, and enthusiastically, with people less lucky than are we.

All that is indeed a small miracle!:D

Now all we need is Platinum!!:rolleyes:

Tenmoc, iterfacio12, pcarol and 22 others like this.
  4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Maybe something else coming with a 'P'..? ;)

Tenmoc, iterfacio12, pcarol and 12 others like this.
  5. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Premium?

6. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gary....i think it is premium...Platinum seems as elusive as the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. :D

7. oliver2002
    Original Member

oliver2002 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Amen!

Tenmoc, sc801, General_Flyer and 9 others like this.
  8. aptraveler

aptraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, thanks milchap for posting these great AND true facts about our community.

I echo the sentiments expressed herewith regarding the welcoming attitude towards everyone who simply want to participate by providing their expertise and sharing with others their incredible travel related experiences. The true sense of a fun, knowledgeable, and respectful community is what keeps ME, coming back for more. The sense of being a part of such a vast, diverse and caring group of passionate like minded people, has been an enriching experience for me; one that I can take pride in being an engaging participant of it. And yes, I am referring to this miracle site called Milepoint. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Milepoint.

9. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    In total agreement with OP & other posters. Love MP for the open, friendly & welcoming attitude exhibited by all. It's a joy to come here to find help, or give it, and often just to see what everyone is doing. Thanks to the founders for sharing their vision with all of us!

Tenmoc, aptraveler, tommy777 and 10 others like this.
  10. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I spend a lot of time on a lot of travel-related forums, but MilePoint is the first one where I've met some of the amazing folks offline. It's the great community here that really sets this forum apart from the others. :)

11. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
    About 16 months ago, I joined MP before FT, and unless I'm really digging for some answers on a particular subject so I can be more informed before I ask questions, I rarely visit FT. I love the hospitality here. It's fun and informative. Thanks for making MP a place I want to visit!

12. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    {blushing} I'm a member of this community and proud to agree with the sentiments and more importantly—it's future.

Charity? Who could argue with the give back of this community. There's even a cover story of some of our charity efforts in this month's InsideFlyer magazine. Content? More coming each day and we're far ahead of any other website ever for frequent flyers. Here's an example: The other day i was looking over some of my proud past and the start of FlyerTalk. In 2001, nearly 6 years after FlyerTalk started, the AAdvantage forum had a total of 24,697 posts. Milepoint in just 1 1/2 years has 22,705 posts. Content is certainly growing. US Airways forum nearly six years after FlyerTalk began had 6,875 posts. Today after 1 1/2 years the US Airways forum has 6,842 posts. So while some may say we're missing content, fact is and truth is, we're growing what we have quite well and in the near years ahead will certainly have the right content completely wrapped by all the wonderful other benefits and deeds you all have described.

And you mention that "P" thing? It may or may not be Platinum, but I do know that we're in the final days of launch for Milepoint's Premium Membership and I think once you see the ability to upgrade your account, you'll be pretty pleased with our effort to provide value, benefits and even bonuses for our members.

Anyway, with events such as the MegaDO's and KivaDO's and with the members we have, what a pleasant combination for those interested in travel and how we all fly.

Again, thanks {end blushing}

Tenmoc, Max M, aptraveler and 16 others like this.
  13. Federicoita

Federicoita Silver Member

Status Points:
    I joined here earlier this month.
    I usually post in the Thailand forum.
    I like the functionality of the site, the availability to personalise posts including photos and I am happy to use the posts as a travel log in the hope they can help other people visiting the place I know well.
    The current wave of users (including those who have joined some time ago) seem supportive and the dialogue is of good quality and I have enjoyed being here.
    I hope that Milepoint grows even further because it has a lot to offer.
    Best
    Giorgio Federico
    p.s. the only issue I have is that at times the "upload a file" facility does not work.

Tenmoc, jbcarioca, pcarol and 5 others like this.
  14. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some have noted issues with Upload but I find it works for me - what are you seeing?

PS: Welcome to Milepoint :)

15. Federicoita

Status Points:
    ACMM,
    Thank you first of all for taking an interest in my comments.
    I tend to post photos with some commentary (Thailand) of my travels/dining experiences etc.
    The issue mainly happens if I am uploading during expected rush hour times in GMT (Greenwich UK)
    It happened when I posted my comments above (around 19.15hrs) but a little while ago I was able to ulpload a few photos, no problem.
    What am I seeing?
    Essentially, when I select "Upload a file" and try do upload a photo (which I have previously resized) A rectangular dark bar will appear warning me of an error and that there was a problem uploading my photo.
    It can be a nuisance but it is not a big issue.
    Other than that, great people here. Ergo, a great site.
    Best
    Giorgio Federico

16. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I reposted your comments above in the thread discussing this issue - where I see you had posted before - wanted to ensure they knew the issue was still around...

17. Federicoita

Status Points:
    Thank you that is both helpful (as I do not know my way around here) and thoughtful.
    Best
    Giorgio Federico

18. pyndasky

pyndasky Silver Member

Status Points:
    Amazingly cool site/forum... in the few weeks that I've been on this site, I've found several answers to concerns I've had with my local airport and my frequented airlines... If not answers, at least I've found others who commiserate...

19. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to milepoint :)

Tenmoc, aptraveler, jbcarioca and 2 others like this.
  20. pyndasky

pyndasky Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks!!!

21. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Thanks. Appreciate the positive start with Milepoint. We're young and have a long way to go but the buzz certainly is that we're doing some very innovative and cool things and we're proud to be owned and operated by actual frequent flyers — we can commiserate right along side you. Can i tell you about my standby / rebooking not so happy story from yesterday? The airline tried their best to "do unto others" but based upon the info from my fellow travelers ... I was good to go even though they told me i was not. Again, welcome.

22. oliver2002
    Original Member

oliver2002 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So when is that problem to be solved? I come here once a week...

Tenmoc and jbcarioca like this.
  23. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad you keep coming back ... Hoping each time you come you add some meaningful content ;) Everyone has something they can add I am sure :)

Tenmoc, aptraveler and jbcarioca like this.
  24. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is being solved as we all make more substantive questions and other people post substantive answers. My personal view is that the early lack of content here was partly because almost all of us who posted very early were very experiences flyers and also had used other travel sites to resolve our newby questions. It seems to be that the content improves in direct proportion to the newby questions. Other people probably have more insight to this subject than do I.

Tenmoc, aptraveler and ACMM like this.
  25. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, even pictures from my last trip which sadly was too long ago...:(

:D

Tenmoc and ACMM like this.