milepoint Guides

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by Randy Petersen, Mar 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    As I hope many of you know, one of our goals is to make access to information on milepoint a pleasure, not a pain. We've got a ways to go but the start is there and the progress is building and today is yet another part of that progress. Today we are rolling out the start of the 'milepoint Guide' program which some of you likely saw us put out a call for several weeks ago. We do understand that for those travelers new to any online community, that the information they may be seeking is not always so evident and as well as the volume of information on milepoint grows (soon to have over 300,000 posts) it can create opportunities where the Guide program, along with the efforts of all our members can make this huge amount of information friendly. Friendly to find and made friendly by members. The milepoint Guide program is a volunteer effort to may visible to some of our newer members, particular members who have volunteered extra time online to assist them in finding where to post and what to post. These volunteers will be a little more active in seeking to help out members, though I have personally seen many an example of our current members helping out every hour of the day. But there are times when members are in between their own posts or off to catch a flight or even to catch a movie and by having a small number of regular Guides, we hope to have milepoint staffed with assistance all the hours of the day.

Now, a couple of things: 1) This is not a Moderator program. In fact each Guide would tell you openly and honestly that it appears they don't have much power except to help members. They do not have any discipline responsibilities. We think this approach will make their efforts to help pleasantly enjoyable. 2) It's not about turf. Each Guide does not have any particular forum assigned to hang out in. As Guides, they can help members, new and old, anywhere on milepoint. 3) We're not sure what the program finally looks like and have decided to keep the initial number reasonable to the current traffic on milepoint and as well have tried to diplomatically balance our global membership to the same with those that have initially volunteered. We'll be adding a few daily over the next week weeks and then let it work. we'll learn from their experiences and frankly the experiences of all our members.

So thank you for your interest and support of milepoint and here's the current list of new 'milepoint' Guides (the list will be updated as necessary as new guides are announced):
    - Cholula (added March 22)
    - chrislacey(added March 22)
    - Art234(added March 22)
    - deant(added March 22)
    - peteropny(added March 22)
    ---------------------------------------
    - Tivoboy (added March 23)
    - Simon (added March 23)
    - calvinoeh (added March 23)
    - aviators99 (added March 25)
    - MyMiles&Points
    (added March 26)
    - Gargoyle (added March 29)
    - SC Flier (added March 31)
    - DestinationDavid (added April 1)
    - GenevaFlyer (added April 1)
    - MarkUK (added April 4)

Cheers,
    Randy

[milepoint GUIDE PROGRAM]
    In full-disclosure, this is the actual guidelines for the milepoint Guide program. Not that complicated, and hopefully not that overbearing for the volunteers. We do believe that this program can assist us all in making sure that milepoint grows to be easy to use and easy to be welcomed into.

What Is A milepoint Guide?
    Guides aren't necessarily the members who know the most, or who have the most miles or points (although they may be); rather they are among the friendly, welcoming and accommodating members. Guides take pride in helping someone find the best answer(s) to a question, even if they've helped countless others find the same information before. Guides will be identified by a "milepoint Guide" title attached to their Avatar.

Okay, so I'm a Guide. What do I do?
    As a Guide, you don't need to know the answer to every question. Your charge is to help members find the information they are seeking on milepoint and, in the process, gently teach them how to find information. This will often take the form of providing links to relevant threads, along with a bit of explanation, to those who have posted a variation of a question that has been asked and answered previously. In other cases you might introduce one member to another who can assist them directly. Or, you might find yourself providing helpful search tips, either in a thread or via a conversation. In short, while a Guide might not know the answer to every frequent flyer question, they can help anyone find the answer to the question.

Do I have to work a certain timeframe?
    No. You were selected in part based on where you reside and your typical participation pattern on milepoint. There are a number of people from each region who will form the Guide group. All we ask is that you keep an eye out for those in need of assistance when you have time amidst your search for more miles and points. This is a temporary assignment for the next few months and if we discover we need more/less coverage we will adjust as necessary.

Am I responsible for a certain area?
    There is no plan yet to assign Guides to specific fora. You are welcome to assist members in need wherever you might find them on milepoint, and are under no obligation to search for members who need assistance in forums you otherwise might not normally visit. We simply ask that, when you encounter members in need of assistance during your normal participation on milepoint, you offer timely and friendly assistance.

What should I do if I see a discipline issue?
    You are not being asked to discipline people, break up fights, or send people to the showers. You are welcome to start a private conversation with a member if you think you might be able to offer assistance to smooth what might be a rocky situation, but you are not obligated to do so. If you stumble across any questionable membership issues that you believe require more than a little smoothing, or that you simply don’t want to deal with, just drop us a line* and we'll step in.

* The preferred manner to “drop us a line” is by using the “Report” function, accessible immediately below each post. Posts reported by Guides will be easily identifiable to the administrative staff. Or, if you are involved in a conversation with a member and would like us to become involved, feel free to invite either Mikel or Randy Petersen into the conversation.

What tools will I have at my disposal?
    Because Guides are not disciplinary, the administrative tool set required and provided is very limited. You will have access to the following administrative tools:
    * You will have the ability to Stick and Unstick threads. As we move forward with the implementation of the milepoint wiki, this particular tool will likely become less relevant and needed.
    * You will have the ability to assist members by editing posts made in the forums. Cases when this might be used include editing posts that contain personally identifying information, or posts that contain fully re-printed articles, which can be edited to shorten and provide a proper link to the source.
    * You will also have the ability to edit posts made to a member's profile.
    * You will have access to the Spam Cleaner

These tools are being made available to Guides primarily to provide additional resources you might find useful when assisting a member, and in assisting the community as a whole. If you are unsure whether or not you should use a tool, the best course of action is to refrain from its use and contact us for assistance.

I feel like being rude to someone today.
    May we suggest you kick the trash can in your office? Guides must set a good example in all of their interactions on milepoint. We're counting on you to be the standard bearers of our community. Based on your posting history we don't expect this to be an issue, but it simply cannot be stressed enough.

What do I get paid?
    Cash and prizes beyond your wildest dreams. Well, not really. But we do have plans for some ways to say “thank you” for your service to the growing milepoint community.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  2. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2013
    MrsBobSgt, doc, PAinNY and 7 others like this.
  3. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    MrsBobSgt, BondAir007, doc and 6 others like this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a positive development IMHO. Thanks for doing it.

MrsBobSgt, doc, Chimpy and 2 others like this.
  5. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    So do guides have the ability to create a sticky?

MrsBobSgt, doc, lin821 and 3 others like this.
  6. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It appears we will have this ability in the future. At this point, I don't see that it has been implemented yet. :)

BondAir007, doc, lin821 and 4 others like this.
  7. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I know he said you wouldn't be moderators, but I was hoping for that.

BondAir007, doc, Chimpy and 2 others like this.
  8. chrislacey
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's the best part, in my opinion, about the Guide program. We are absolutely not moderators. We have zero ability to "discipline" (sorry I don't like that word) members. We are here to help in any way we can!

doc and miles and smiles like this.
  9. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is implemented.
    Find the thread you want stickied. Click the check-box in the left side of the thread and you get the options to sticky, unsticky etc.

doc, lin821, Chimpy and 1 other person like this.
  10. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I received the "welcome to the guides" email yesterday, is there some official and "un-official" capacity?

11. chrislacey
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the heads-up! I was looking for this functionality somewhere "inside" the thread, but I now see the box in the thread list for each forum. So for everyone...this is now a feature that we can support!

Miles and miles and smiles like this.
  12. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will there be additional guides?
    I am told others volunteered to give back to the community.

doc, miles and smiles and Chimpy like this.
  13. chrislacey
    Original Member

Status Points:
    milchap, Randy has stated that there will be additions in the coming weeks. From his original post:

miles and smiles likes this.
  14. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Should this list be copied and stickied into the Newbie area? So they're aware of the program and how to find you?

doc, miles and smiles, lin821 and 3 others like this.
  15. chrislacey
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think that sounds like a great idea! ...and also adding it to the Welcome post might be nice too. I will discuss with the group! Thanks Tenmoc!

Edited to add: We've started a new thread in the Newbies forum per your suggestion Tenmoc! You can find it here: MilePoint Guides: We're Here to Help!

16. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to the Guides for offering their time and energies. The only one of you that I really know is Cholula and he is certainly an excellent choice, as I am sure the rest of you will be as well.

17. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    I noticed the "Guide" title show up yesterday. Sounds like a great program, and I recognize a few names from other forums (not just FT). :)

doc, miles and smiles and Tenmoc like this.
  18. charlilo
    Original Member

charlilo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, SirRagnar. I wished to congrat Cholula, but his profile is closed... Nevertheless, I succeeded in congratulating you.

doc, miles and smiles, lin821 and 2 others like this.
  19. charlilo
    Original Member

charlilo Gold Member

Status Points:
  20. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I noticed that too when I made the list. Maybe he'll take the hint and open it up ;)

21. ralfkrippner
    Original Member

ralfkrippner Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to our guides - and thanks a lot for volunteering! I'll try and not be a pain in the @ss for you all... :)

MrsBobSgt, deant, doc and 2 others like this.
  22. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    And I WILL try to be a pain in the @ss for you all. :)

For starters, me want cookie!​

23. chrislacey
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Here 'ya go:
    [​IMG]

MrsBobSgt, Bundy Bear, N965VJ and 2 others like this.
  24. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congrats to the new 5 extra guides as well.

Question though. Can guides move threads/merge threads/etc?

Gaucho, Chimpy and miles and smiles like this.
  25. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great guides one and all! Thanks in advance for your time, energy, and good spirits!