milepoint, frequent traveler fdn., the frequent traveler awards

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Camino Cielo, Mar 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Camino Cielo

Camino Cielo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are these to become one?. Are they to remain separate, or, since they involve many of the same principals, will they merge? I know that Gary Leff and others started this initiative, perhaps before they were aware of milepoint. How will they relate, short range and long? This thread is a propos of this email I received this morning:

Thanks for any insight from the principals!

CC
    (aka Firewind in FT)

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although I am no longer working with the FTEF I can state with some certainty that the FTEF and MilePoint are not the same organization. MilePoint is one of the sponsors of this year's FT Awards but they are still separate organizations.

The FTEF is running both the FT Awards and FT University events this April.

Camino Cielo likes this.
  3. Camino Cielo

Status Points:
    Thank you, Wandering Aramean. To any current principals: Are there plans for how the organizations are going to relate in the future? The awards are already high profile. The heads of various loyalty programs are launching their email campaigns this week. Many principals and participants of MilePoint, the Frequent Traveler Foundation and FlyerTalk will be at the ceremony. It would be good to be public prior to then about how the organizations are planning to relate over time. Perhaps this is laid out somewhere else? Another thread? Thank you.

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The Frequent Traveler Awards are a project of the Frequent Traveler Education Foundation. The prime driver of the idea at the begiinning, a year ago was Tommy777. When Randy Petersen announced that the Freddie Awards wouldn't be continuing, Tommy felt that a really important hole was being left -- that frequent flyers needed a way to:

* Answer definitely "which program is best?"
    * Honor the programs that do the best job delivering value to their members
    * Encourage/nudge programs to do better [I've been told several times by the heads of these programs that at the margin these awards do just that]

And so he began calling people who he thought could be helpful in putting something together.

Somehow this group managed to put together an awards in short order, get all the programs to participate, and even raise the sponsorship dollars needed to cover nice trophies, etc.

Folks involved from the beginning were tommy, rcs85551, xyzzy, oliver2002, sbm12, thezipper, myself, Canarsie... As Wandering Aramean (aka sbm12) noted he's not currently involved, some other folks have joined in. But it's a group, some involved primarily here.. some involved primarily on Flyertalk.. some Tommy knew from the Star MegaDOs.

Last year the first award ceremony was held in Houston. Randy happened to be there, in the same hotel, for the Star MegaDO. But you can imagine, an award for frequent flyer programs -- that was NOT the Freddies -- had to be an emotional thing for him. I didn't even know if he would come down to the event, and indeed he wasn't even there for the start of it. It did mean a lot that he joined in for dinner. But he wasn't an organizer, and he's still not. Though I did ask him for contact info for one program tha we were having a difficult time reaching (an international hotel chain).

Otherwise, as I understand it -- and I am not involved in the business end of the Frequent Traveler Awards / FTEF at all -- both Milepoint (and thus Randy) and Flyertalk are sponsoring this year's awards. I have no idea what organizations will sponsor in the future, that's tommy777's job to worry about. Fortunately it isn't mine.

Hope that helps?

Camino Cielo likes this.
  5. Camino Cielo

Status Points:
    Yes! Thank you very much for taking time for this question. And thank you and the people you mention who continue to give to help move much of this forward. Likewise, Mr. Petersen. Far, far more from all, as your comment only hints, than meets the eye. One juncture, one "Chinese moment" (crisis:eek:pportunity) after another, undoubtedly, well navigated by the kind of energy and judgment that they and you represent. There are franchises here that are just becoming clear to more and more of us. May this continue! Meanwhile, as the visions take shape and your answer well communicates in at least a couple of ways, wisdom is in the drivers' seats at each juncture. Thanks again.

EDIT: I'm sorry, that crazy face is supposed to be a colon. I've tried to edit it.

6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm not sure what you're talking about, but I'll take it :)

And in case I wasn't clear enough, Milepoint and Randy have little to do with the Frequent Traveler Awards other than being one of several sponsors. The credit here really goes most to tommy777, and then to the rest of the volunteer team.

The Frequent Traveler Awards are not a part of Milepoint, or a part of Flyertalk, and to the best of my understanding will remain separate. It's really all just about the frequent flyer, giving everyone a voice, and it's a really fun project and a non-profit one to boot.

7. Camino Cielo

Status Points:
    1) To put it in more bas relief, you are doing all this as a volunteer. 2) You were clear, so this post may not have been necessary. 3) However, I do learn one thing more: I had no idea that MilePoint is a non-profit.

Thanks again.

8. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Sorry, the Frequent Traveler Education Foundation is a non-profit. I cannot speak directly to Randy Petersen's finances or structure for Milepoint and did not intent to do so.

9. Camino Cielo

Status Points:
    Sorry, misinterpreted. I haven't seen all this laid out, so everything you're saying is new, at least in one place. And so most informative in sorting out the overlaps and separations. Thanks again.