Milefy.com - air travel comparison for frequent flyers

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Milefy, Apr 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Milefy

Milefy Z Representative

Status Points:
    Hi everyone,

I am happy to announce that right now me, LXofSweden (or most often simply known as Alex), and my co-founder Craig plus a team of developers and designers are in the process of building a travel search comparison site for frequent flyers called Milefy.

We are still very much in the early stages of the project, and thanks to the awesome feedback of some 30 good-hearted FTers and MPers, we are doing our best to optimize the site specifically for frequent flyers.

Please see this demo-page to have an idea of what the v 1.0 will contain. I know these Paintbrush mockups don't look very sexy but they should illustrate what we're out to do. Around next week, we'll have some much nicer mockups for you. FYI, the fares will be displayable both as "timebars" and as a normal list with complete flight information.

While you're at the demo page, please do take the survey (takes abt 6 mins) referred to at the bottom of the site (also accessible here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/D7LMLG5). We would love to hear your feedback! Unfortunately, we can't offer you miles for taking the survey at this time.. :p But we use the feedback to optimize it for your usage!

We'll be starting off with a limited number of user accounts so if you want to be among the first to play around with the site when it's up and running, please register your email at www.milefy.com to get a shot at an exclusive invitation before the launch. Of course, we'd also be happy if you would tweet, Facebook and tell all your frequent flyer friends about us! :)

Finally, Randy has been very kind and created us a ConcourseZ Forum called "Milefy" so please check in now and then to follow the development, refer to the (future) FAQ or shower us with compliments/comments/feedback/questions/support/criticism/critique/curse words.

oskar, yaffa, Colonel G and 4 others like this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You know what would be really cool to add to this (not sure how feasible it is though)? If you could add in promotions as well (i.e. traveling UA vs. AA LAX-PVG could be different if you were to sign up for the AA 2x miles promotion).

Great concept though...I've seen this before (maybe on FT?) and am really looking forward to it.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. Milefy

Milefy Z Representative

Status Points:
    Hey John,

It won't likely be a part of the v 1.0 but that is definitely something that we are looking at for the coming stages of the development! :)

jbcarioca and JohnDeere19 like this.
  4. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    a) Bar graph for time of day is interest, i would be nice if the bars were more intuitive (when I see dark blue I think more US than AA & when I see red I think AA or DL not US, etc). Maybe stick the airline name or abbreviation in the middle of the bar.

b) The "3" doesn't intuatively mean anything to me, a "+" sign would let me know clicking the "+" will show more details.

c) How do connections show up? Are there three consecutive bars, Segment 1, layover & segment 2?

Agreed that'd be nice to have, but not a "need"

Milefy and jbcarioca like this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quick question because the OP seemed a bit confusing for people who haven't already heard about it a bit: Is this a fare comparison for revenue flights or is a comparison of available award tickets across carriers? If I may ask, just what is being compared for FFs? Miles earned on the trip? Total trip time? Or just a more convenient way to find the lowest price than expedia, travelocity, etc.?

Milefy, jbcarioca and k2o like this.
  6. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    So this looks like FlyByMiles....I thought it was the same but I see it focuses on other factors than using miles.

Milefy and jbcarioca like this.
  7. Jaguar
    Original Member

Jaguar Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, I don't think so - they are separate services.

The websites look similar because they are using the same service to create a waitlist :) -> http://launchrock.com/

There have been a few other startups that have used launchrock to launch their beta services. This seems to be the best way to go viral with very little effort.

Milefy, k2o and jbcarioca like this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Alex,

it is good to see you here with the announcement. We're waiting eagerly for the next step!:)

James

Milefy likes this.
  9. Milefy

Milefy Z Representative

Status Points:
    a) Totally agree, this has been taken into consideration during the makings of the real mock-ups.

b) Sure, we will have proper looking buttons and links on the actual site.

c) Our designer is working on that right now, but it's likely that's how it will be displayed (like ITA's Matrix and Hipmunk).

Thanks for the feedback!

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. Milefy

Milefy Z Representative

Status Points:
    Good point!

Ours is a fare comparison site (like Kayak) for ordinary cash flights (not award flights) with functions for frequent flyers such as:

- Seeing the accruable mileage of each returned result according to each of your FF accounts so you don't have to look up the booking code, refer to your program rules, look up the distance, etc. Same goes for partner airlines.
    - Sorting by Cost/Cents Per Accruable Miles and by Actual Ticket Cost (value of miles subtracted from price)
    - Your Accounts overview
    - Ability to book directly into a specific available fare and not just the cheapest (then purchase directly with airline or OTA).

santafefran likes this.
  11. Milefy

Milefy Z Representative

Status Points:
    That explanation is bang on target! :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. Milefy

Milefy Z Representative

Status Points:
    Hi James,

Thank you very much! Yes, we are also very much looking forward to have the site up!

Alex

13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    When you say accruable miles, this means redeemable miles, right, and not status miles, although ones current status is taken into account in the calculations? Are current bonuses offered by airlines taken into account, including alerts for those that require registration?

jbcarioca and Milefy like this.
  14. Milefy

Milefy Z Representative

Status Points:
    Actually, you will be able to see both redeemable and status qualifying miles. You are right about the status being taken into account in the calculations.

It's not likely that we will have the bonuses in the beta, but it is definitely something we are looking at integrating a bit further down the road!

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. Milefy

Milefy Z Representative

Status Points:
    Here are a few more mockups – this time of results displayed also in normal list form, and not just as timebars! These mockups are the same screens as in the demo page, just with some new looks and functions:

- Screen 3: List, with filters
    - Screen 2b: List, with alternative departures expanded
    - Screen 6: List, sorted by CPAM
    - Screen 3 again: Timebars, with filters

Now, these too are obviously still under work, but I figured some of you might be interested in seeing something a step closer to the final result. With that said, we still haven’t optimized the interface for user experience, so some modifications are bound to happen before we have this in HTML.

16. evansbran

evansbran Active Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone seen a similar site for hotels? It would be very helpful if you could search a certain neighborhood and see what hotels have awards available and how many points they would cost.

17. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    For a mockup its fine, but when you go live the bars should be continuous. Either a sold bar with white or black type for contrast (check how the display prints), or make the font a little smaller so that you can use a white text box inlay that will not break the continuous bar perimiter.

It's important to have no breaks in the perimeter of bars (unless it's a layover) as that will inevitably confuse some users. (you may also be able to make the bars a lot thicker)

jbcarioca and Milefy like this.
  18. Milefy

Milefy Z Representative

Status Points:
    Thanks for pointing that out, MyTravels. Sure, in the launched site the timebars will be continuous and not broken as in the mockups. It'll be similar to the ITA Software and Hipmunk timebars so users that are used to those two will be familiar with the timebar display interface on Milefy as well.

19. Milefy

Milefy Z Representative

Status Points:
    Hi MPers,

We've just finished a few design proposals for Milefy and would want YOU guys to be the ones deciding the future look of the site! Have a look at what we've put together at www.milefy.com/design-proposals.html and let us know what you think in the super short survey form at the bottom of the page!

In other Milefy news:
    - We're building in flight data from one of the most comprehensive flight aggregators to offer users competitive fares and a great wealth of routing options.
    - We're integrating the mileage accounts from one of the most innovative points aggregators.
    - We're likely to start with more FFPs already by beta than initially indicated.

Cheers,
    Alex

yaffa likes this.
  20. yaffa
    Original Member

yaffa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Btw: The PNG image format should be better suited for the screenshots than the JPG photos you are posting.
    Besides that I've submitted my comments.

21. Milefy

Milefy Z Representative

Status Points:
    Yeah, it definitely looks better than my Paintbrush modified ones haha. I used these nevertheless since the site hasn't had many visitors these past couple of weeks and turned idle so loading was already a pain for the first few visitors.

22. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for this effort. I submitted my preference as well as the survey.

Milefy likes this.
  23. skit53
    Original Member

skit53 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I took the survey - looking forward to getting an account and being able to play w/ the actual site!

Keep up the good work!

24. Milefy

Milefy Z Representative

Status Points:
    Hi all,

Been quite a while!

Happy to inform those of you who aren't on the mailing list that we've got a demo in place would be glad if you'd want to come over to try it out:

http://demo.milefy.com

Currently, only United's Mileage Plus accrual rules are integrated with fares in the demo but we aim to add more programs and features soon. The search may a little bit slow too but hang in there and you'll get fares!

For all of you that have tried it out: We had some cases with searches returning no fares. This should be sorted out by now!

Head on over and try it out and please do let us know your feedback in the short survey that takes just 5 minutes so we can improve and make sure this will become a great application!

Cheers,
    Alex

25. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Great Alex, good news. I might suggest you cross post into your forum in ConcourseZ. I keep watching that one for updates!