MileagePlus Premier Status Match Challenge

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by WilliamQ, Apr 2, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Back in August 2013, I thought I will be shifting travel to United and requested for a status challenge. I was Delta Silver then and was offered a 90 day Premier® Silver status + challenge.

Things did not pan out and I did not take a single UA flight and remained with Delta as well.

I am now Delta Gold and this year it feels like I might even reach Delta Platinum for 2015.

ON United's website, it states that MileagePlus Premier Status Match Challenge is allowed maximum of one time in a five year period.

Given the major changes with Delta, I am looking for an additional option and was wondering if anyone here (or knows of anyone) who had an exception made with regards to the 5 year ruling on MileagePlus Premier Status Match Challenge.

I would certainly hope to get a Platinum (or Gold) challenge when my travel plans are more defined but I would like to moderate my hope with feedback from the community.

On the other hand, should I even bother if someone knows of something about United backend policy with regards to these challenges.

2. owenbrowntrout

owenbrowntrout Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do a status match for a spouse or anyone else you regularly travel with. You should then get upgrades for flights they take with you. This gives you two status matches every five years.

WilliamQ likes this.
  3. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, my wife seldom travels with me on my business trips (only once the last 4 years) and I usually fly alone.

Appreciate the response though.

4. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you tried calling the MileagePlus desk and explaining this situation to them? I have no idea how strict the policy is, but it seems to me to be worth a shot. It's not like UA is so popular that everyone is knocking themselves out to achieve Premier status with them these days.

Contrary to logic, they may be more flexible for Gold than they would be for 1K, as you won't be eating up so many resources if you don't make the 2nd chance challenge - or even if you do! That seems to be their focus. They are trying to thin out the higher ranking Premiers, as they simply can't meet the expectations for the benefits associated with them. At least that's my take on the topic.

Good luck!

WilliamQ likes this.
  5. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I will certainly try that when the timing is closer to my travel plans which are closer to the end of the year.