MileagePlus: I hate the change, but . . .

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by ContinentalFan, Jul 2, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. ContinentalFan

ContinentalFan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's a challenge: name one recent change that United made to the MileagePlus program that you dislike, but that you, perhaps begrudgingly, have to admit makes sense from the perspective of the airline.

For me, it's the way reward miles are determined. On the flip side, it has impacted my behavior.

uggboy and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    An airline is not a focused entity and has more than one perspective (e.g. management, several employee tiers, shareholders, etc). If you're just looking for another lively debate, I challenge you to go to a law enforcement forum, and ask them to think from a house burglar's perspective.

uggboy likes this.
  3. ContinentalFan

Status Points:
    As in "What's that guy pointing at me?" Bang! <scene>?

uggboy likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nearly all of them.

Which is to say they all make sense from the airlines' perspective but most aren't great for me.

8MiHi, Gtitan, ssullivan and 2 others like this.
  5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    The airlines have gotten much better at using a rifle as opposed to a shotgun (not a sniper rifle, but much more surgical than buckshot ). That's almost always going to be bad for those of us that leverage the opportunities out there to the max. That being said, there are still opportunities, they just may be less rewarding or take more work.

And, quite frankly, AA and DL are doing much better than UA at offering improvements while taking away loopholes. That can make it much easier to tolerate.

6. ContinentalFan

Status Points:
    Good points. Let's see how the merger between AA and US unfolds. When AA allowed miles from anywhere to count towards lifetime elite status, it drove my behavior. It's now gone. I think more things will follow at AA.