MileagePlus Explorer vs Chase Sapphire Card?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by mreiffe, Nov 30, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. mreiffe

mreiffe New Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,
    New user here, thanks in advance for your help.

I currently use a Starwood Amex to book all my travel and also use it as my business expense credit card. I just achieved silver status on United (finally woo hoo!) and am curious about switching over to the mileageplus or sapphire card. What's recommended? Or do i just stick with SPG so i can keep getting SPG points? Really unsure of what to do here.

Appreciate the help.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    What are your goals?

Neither of the Chase cards will change your status qualification pace so if that is part of your motivation forget it. If you want to earn lots more MileagePlus points then staying with the SPG card is a bad idea.

3. mreiffe

mreiffe New Member

Status Points:
    i guess i have multiple goals. more miles to start booking personal travel with. gaining more status in 2016. but we also use our SPG points quite often (love their points + cash tools). but if i switch and doing so gets me a lot more, i'm open to doing that.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, l like I said above, you're not going to get more status with the switch.

You will get more points for award flights on UA. Only you can decide if that's more valuable than award nights.

Counsellor likes this.
  5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would apply for the United Card, if you fly United..

All the points in the would will do you no good if you do not use them..

Myself I have all 3 SPG, UA, CSP.

6. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since you are already UA Silver you get priority boarding, a free checked bag and better econ award availability. CSP would give you more UA miles (UR points xfer to UA) because you earn 2 UR for dining and all travel. CSP has better benefits for personal travel like trip delay, trip cancelation insurance, and primary rental car coverage. If you put $25K or more on the Explorer you would get 10K bonus miles. I think the $25K spend also exempts you from the spend requirement for UA status.

7. loungebuddy

loungebuddy Active Member

Status Points:
    I would say the CSP for the spend bonuses and transfer options. Saves you from having points stranded in one program if it devalues.

8. qwas

qwas Member

Status Points:
    If this is still relevant i would say get the CSP...

A. They have a nice sign up bonus now 50k +5k for adding a AU + 4k spending =59k
    B. Its a great every day card (2 UR for dining and travel) and chase is making it harder to get