MileagePlus Explorer and Select considered the same product?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by ericb, Dec 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ericb

ericb Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone,

I recently started a rather uphill App-o-Rama (ironically only the MB plat AMEX immediately approved) and applied for the mileage plus explorer card using the 50k link on Frequent Miler's blog (one of very few remaining). Get a pending decision response so I call chase today and was approved pretty easily for the Ink Plus, but the explorer has been a no-go so far.

One rep said that I can only have either the Select or the Explorer card and that they're considered the same product (which seems inaccurate given the different benefits). The other said that United stipulated that you can only get the bonus once across all UA cards (again Chase decides who gets bonuses since they bought the miles from UA, so not batting 1000 on accuracy here).

Still no-go given the 5 or so other chase cards open previously, they thought it was too many. Any advice on how to push this through with the bonus? I asked for a credit limit transfer but that was turned down too. I'm holding it up to time of day as some research tends to point that people in "judgment" positions tend to say "no" more often at the end of the day are right before lunch.

Am I missing something? From scanning blogs and TOBB, it seems like existing MP Select cardholders have had no problem getting the explorer, but maybe they knew something I didn't.

Eric

2. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    I to have the Select card and I was told via secure message with Chase that I was eligible for any currently available bonus on the explorer. I posted a verbatim transcript of it in this forum somewhere(names redacted of course) I will see if I can find it.

3. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have had the Select card for years and also got an Explorer card about a year ago. The fee is coming due on the Explorer; time to bail on that one.

travelpye likes this.