MileagePlus Difficulty With Thai First Class

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by benids, Jan 5, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. benids

benids Member

Status Points:
    I tried to book a reward ticket tonight to take advantage of United's current award chart before the devaluation hits. It was an Asian round-trip in first originating in Houston to Hanoi, Vietnam via Beijing and Tokyo. I used an open jaw so the return was Bangkok to Houston via Munich and London. I was told that the Thai air flight from BKK to MUC wouldn't price from the computer in first class. We played with a couple of options but nothing seemed to work. This is in spit of clearly seeing availability both when I search on the web and when the phone rep searched on her end. For the time being I booked that segment in business, but I was really looking forward to flying Thai's first class product. Does anybody have any insights? The itinerary I attempted was:

IAH-PEK
    a few hours
    PEK-NRT
    ~20 hours
    HND-HAN
    A couple weeks
    BKK-MUC
    2 days
    MUC-LHR
    3 hours
    LHR-IAH

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edit:
    Just tried searching with ANA's website to make sure this wasn't "phantom" availability as some have reported on United's site before. Sure enough the first class tickets popped up as available. Now if I can only get United's computer to put on the flight!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  2. benids

benids Member

Status Points:
    Figured it out after many calls and hours to United.

The problem was the flight from LHR-IAH was in business since there was no First class availability. Apparently on a reward ticket to/from Asia you are limited to the class of the Over-Water segment (i.e. crossing the Atlantic or Pacific Ocean). In the end I rerouted so we fly to MUC in first class on THAI and then fly MUC-FRA, fly first class FRA-CHI, then finally CHI-IAH. This is valid apparently because the over the water leg (FRA-CHI) is in first class.

mrx900 and merice107 like this.