MileagePlus Devaluatio, Where to earn *A miles next?

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by vcabias, Nov 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. vcabias

vcabias Active Member

Status Points:
    So, I've been earning a ton of United miles in advance of a Europe trip I'm planing for next Summer. Given that United miles are easy to acquire (portals, UR conversions, CC apps, manufactured spend, etc.) and had generous partner reward booking rates before the devaluing. If I wanted to maintain access to *A awards, and assuming the US/AA tie up happens and US goes to OW, where is the best program to earn *A miles in? I have a Lufthansa CC, and there are LAN cards available. MR transfers to both, as do SPG points (I think SPG may be the answer). Without jumping ship to OW (next option in lieu of *A miles), where would you start earning *A miles to continue access to *A partners?

MX and traveltoomuch like this.
  2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Few of the LAN subsidiaries are still in *A, and they're mostly moving to OW. What about earning in Air Canada's program, which also allows MR transfers?

MX likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aeroplan is an option but beware the fuel surcharges. They may eat up the savings you have in miles with a cash requirement instead. Ditto for LH.

The devaluation hurts, no doubt, but for award redemption options the UA program doesn't completely suck. Subject to change, of course.

MX and mht_flyer like this.
  4. vcabias

vcabias Active Member

Status Points:
    @Mike Reed - Solid suggestion. @Wandering Aramean's point on fuel surcharges worries me though. His other point on LH surcharges also gives me pause on LH miles earning for that reason. I may just keep earning on United since it's still a UR partner and I earn some decent points there. I think my biggest lesson in all of this is to earn and burn more often, even if it means making plans in stone further out into the future. Especially as someone who doesn't yet fly a considerable amount for work (though that should happen more in the future), I shouldn't be to concerned with status and as such should be open to the best mileage currency for the flight i want to take; regardless of what it is.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  5. rrgg
    Original Member

rrgg Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're now considering paying the YQ in AC, then I'd ask which airline you actually want to fly. If it's LH/LX, then reconsider Miles & More. The reason they sometimes show more inventory online to their own members than what shows up at UA or ANA for example. On the other hand, AC is (or was) flexible with stopover rules which can be nice.

vcabias and Wandering Aramean like this.
  6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    CanadianKilometers has a pretty decent post about this and minimizing YQ on Aeroplan award bookings.

Solid advice. After booking the one trip we really wanted next summer I find myself with a significant number of AA miles left over, and now I've got a significant number of US miles, too, from an award trip canceled in December. I'm definitely looking for great ways to spend them vs. letting them just sit there at risk for devaluation!

MX and vcabias like this.