MileagePlus Department Has Lit My Hair on Fire

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by KenInEscazu, Sep 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have had two recent problems regarding MileagePlus, and their "help" desk has caused my blood pressure to rise, temper to flare and finally, my hair to catch on fire.

On the first problem, I booked a Hilton room on united.com with a special offer of receiving both HHonors Points and MileagePlus Miles. Upon arrival at the hotel, they tell me the room was booked with Expedia and I would be receiving no credit on either account. After a couple of unsuccessful calls to United (nobody there knows how their hotel res system works), and one to Hilton, I wrote to them with the details.

Their reply was a canned letter telling me that I need to have a Hilton Hhonors account to use this benefit (I do), and then it gives the basic details of how to use the HHonors web site to choose "points and miles" as my default setting. I already had that, but this was a UA special offer.

Last night I bought some RDMs for my daughter, as they were only $0.21/mile and put her over the top to get a free ticket on her next SJO-DFW trip. After waiting for the payment to be processed, I get a page that tells me to try a different card. I checked the card website, and sure enough... The money was charged to my account. It wasn't listed as "pending," but rather as "completed."

My email to MileagePlus received a reply this morning with another canned reply telling me how to buy miles on UA's site. Anyone have a hair-fire extinguisher? I'm so tired of having to spend so much time on this stupid stuff. Has anyone else here experienced similar problems with their service (or lack thereof)? I don't even know where to turn for help at this point.

2. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was the only way to get the points deal with Hilton to book on UA's website? I try to avoid booking on UA's website, because while they do occasionally have good deals, I've found the terms and conditions to be rather restrictive. (i.e. if you have to cancel, etc).

Not sure about the RDM purchase. I have done this frequently this year (as recent as Sunday for a 1000 miles @ 29.00) and I haven't had this issue.

3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    So many things are messed up and no one seems to know how to fix it (or care about fixing it) - it is beyond frustrating. Have you tried customer care (phone - need to be put through from reservations - helps if you have status but they should listen even if you don't)

stephenbgarvan likes this.
  4. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    This was my first time to book through their site. I got my confirmation, so I thought it was all good. It will also be the last time I book a hotel through their site.

Like you, I have never had an issue when buying RDMs. I do it rather frequently, as it is much cheaper to buy additional discounted miles through my open reservations than it is to buy the actual tickets for my frequent flights between SJO and BOG. Fares down here are "Loco!"

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    The problem is that the "level 1" point of contact is always some asinine semi-automated response that can't help you. This is the case not only with United but with almost every single company out there that deals with customers.

It's almost like they process the incoming email/requests and look for keywords, then just spew out the most likely answer to your problems, even if it's completely unrelated. When you're dealing with two such companies (like airline and hotel) then it just compounds the issue.

I've had AA lose my SPG reservation for one, and I'm sure that I'm not the only one that didn't get miles from a car rental at some point or another. Best you can do is roll with the punches at the time, then get on the phone with a human being and get them to figure it out when you have the time.

Getting frustrated because of the idiocy of the support system is only going to get you more aggravated. :)

6. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    What viguera said. There's good money to be made these days designing software systems that will handle the initial complaints for you.

7. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree, but not wanting to make my post into a book, I didn't include the phone calls that accompanied the hotel email. United said that I had to resolve it with hotels.com (I guess that's their underlying engine for the hotel page). They transferred me to an Indian call center where I could barely understand the guy, and he told me that some other company had to resolve it. I was transferred again, and understood nothing that the guy said other than, "You must call United for this."

I called United again, and the agent left me on hold for over 30 minutes while she sought assistance from a supervisor. The supervisor wanted to speak with me directly, so she attempted to transfer me. The call was dropped in the process.

I called back again, and the guy told me to file it through MileagePlus online with documented copies of the original reservation. That's what I did, and that's what resulted in the canned reply that started the smoke to rise from my head. I thought the mileage thing was cut and dried, so I didn't call for that issue. I'll be on the phone tonight. Being a United passenger has become a very demanding part time job.

8. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    These are Jeff's "Changes you're gonna like". On a positive side-note they'll claim they are doing their bit for the US unemployment problem and will probably file for the new employee corporate tax credit.

I feel for you, it's not easy dealing with UA these days when things go pear-shaped.

9. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you really mean you paid 21 cents per mile? If so, that's awfully costly!

10. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oops. $0.021/mile. Thanks for clarifying that. I'll be more careful with my proof-reading now. :oops:

IDGflygirl likes this.
  11. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Update: Still no response on either issue.