MileagePlus Award Travel to Austalia

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by chetsmom, Feb 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. chetsmom

chetsmom New Member

Status Points:
    I would like to use my MileagePlus + Ultimate Rewards points (about 300K total) to book award flights for my husband and I to Australia (Adelaide, Sydney, or Melbourne) this holiday season (eg, around 12/17/13 to 1/1/14). I've checked United's website and there are few saver awards and alot of inconvenient routing through Asia. I had hoped for buisnessclass seats, but am now doubting that I can do that. I also don't know if we can tolerate 40 hours of travel and changing planes through Asia. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? My dates are flexible within the range I gave earlier, but I cannot fly outside of the holiday season due to work constraints...and I want to visit family for Christmas. Thanks in advance for any help that you can give me.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If there is something reasonable grab it, even if not ideal. Then waitlist for the UA metal seats you want on the SFO/LAX-SYD flights. There aren't a lot of awards offered for the peak holiday travel time but you might get lucky. And, worst case, you'll have something booked.

Also try searching for the NZ and AC routes across the Pacific (YVR-SYD, SFO/LAX-AKL) with onward connections there.

edekba likes this.
  3. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Over November and December 2012, I noticed that availability to Sydney opened up a LITTLE with anywhere from two days to four weeks notice.

I highly, highly doubt any saver space will open up between now and then. This is a very popular route during the holidays, and UA wants to make people use as much mileage (Standard Award) and/or pay for their tickets rather than giving them away at a saver rate.

Flyer1976 and edekba like this.