MileageBrain announcement!

Discussion in 'MileageBrain' started by MileageBrain, Apr 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Welcome to the MileageBrain.com announcements thread!
    Follow our endeavors to find you the perfect mileage run here, and feel free to comment with bugs, requests, and opinions. If this thread is lacking, you can always find more at our blog, on our twitter, or contact us directly!

New? Jump to the latest official developments and announcements:
    April 26, 2011: /#post-385092
    April 03, 2011: [see below]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a few of you have noticed, quite a few things have changed here at MileageBrain! Here’s what’s up:

Searches from our Top 25 (SFO, JFK, EWR, LAX, IAD, LGA, ORD, DCA, BOS, SEA, BWI, YYZ, ATL, PHL, SJC, LHR, FRA, IAH, DEN, OAK, MIA, YVR, MUC, YOW, YUL) are now as snappy, accurate, and hot as ever! Any searches from these airports offer super fresh results and now feature details such as routing and segments so you can make better mileage running decisions and immediately book exactly what you found.

Unfortunately, we’ve had to temporarily disable all other airports except the Top 25. We’re really sorry to not be able to offer everything like we used to, but we’ve had to take this path to both save money and better concentrate on developing the aforementioned user experience and more. We want to be able to sustainably roll features out for all the other airports and we’re hoping to slowly trickle out more airports as we get more efficient with our resources. We’re of course prioritizing which airports to reinstate from the feedback we’ve been getting from you.

In the meanwhile, we’ll be letting users “Adopt an Airport” soon by donating a certain amount to have an airport of their choice fully crawled by our Brain and featured on our site ASAP along with the Top 25. We’ll make sure that everyone knows that their search was brought to you by said awesome person (or company!), and feature a bio of you with a link to your site, twitter, etc., if you wish. Who said internet fame wasn’t easy?

Our American Airline devotees can now find super accurate fare results for their airline again, and we also now redirect your bookings straight to AA.com.

The best way to keep in touch with us directly remains our contact button, but this forum here in Concourse Z will now be our official one. So feel free to hang out with us and your fellow MileageBrainers here, and share tips and tricks, suggest features, report bugs, etc. We’re seriously thinking about offering a mobile app for MileageBrain in the near future, so keep us updated on you want to see and what you think!

Happy traveling and hope to hear from you all soon,

Ben, Midori, and Adam
    The MileageBrain Crew

2. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    still no grr huh....

3. PackHorse
    Original Member

PackHorse Active Member

Status Points:
    I would really like you to bring back CMH

4. Not to worry, we aren't exactly excited that we had to shut off a bunch of airports either. We're working hard to scale up the infrastructure required to maintain fresh, relevant information on all of the airports, and in the mean time we're going to enable dedicated users to ensure their airport will be indexed with the Adopt an Airport feature.

Thanks for stopping by our new area on MilePoint!

5. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Ben. I liked how it started on FT.com. I was 1967cougar there and liked how it was working, even for GRR it found a few good deals

6. Indeed. It's always a tradeoff between breadth and depth - so back then, the mileage calculations were wildly inaccurate and you couldn't see the routing, so it was very hard to actually book the things you found. We now have the technology to determine the exact routing (and therefore the exact mileage and cpm). The task now is to make that technology more efficient so it can once again handle a data stream of hundreds of airports, instead of only 25. This involves both engineering work on our end (which is ongoing!) and work with Amazon, our computing infrastructure provider. I've had a very positive communication with them about it beginning this weekend.

You were first in with your request for GRR so it is at the top of the wish list. It'll be the first one we turn back on after some more Amazon resources are made available to us!

7. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nifty tool. :)

Would it be faster to run the top 25 every half hour and cache the results? That might give you more computing power to do other airports. And if we're talking other airports, AUS would be lovely. :cool:

8. What you're seeing is a cache that's never more than 24 hours old. It takes our current cluster just under an hour to crawl a whole airport's worth of routes on every supported airline, so we end up being able to keep 25 airports fresh in a 24 hour cycle.

The solution to this, moving forward, is a two-pronged approach: first, we are working on making better use of the existing cluster (i.e. crawling individual airports much faster), and second, we are working on how to pay for a much bigger cluster :)

9. Time for another announcement!

As some of you may now know, we've expanded to some more airports beyond the Top 25 recently. We've greatly optimized our utilization of our current resources and added some more, so we're now 156 airports strong and fast and stable as ever.

You can read more about it back at our blog, but here is our latest list of served airports for your perusal (ctrl/cmd-F is recommended):
    ABE AGS AKL ALB AMS ANC ARN ATH ATL AUS BCN BDL BER BHM BHX BKK BLI BNA BOM BOS BRU BTV BUD BUF BUR BWI CAI CDG CGN CHA CHS CLE CLT CMH COS CPH CVG DAY DCA DEL DEN DFW DME DRS DTW DUB DUS EWR FAR FCO FLL FLO FNT FRA GFK GRR GRZ GVA HAJ HAM HEL HKG HNL HOU HPN IAD IAH ICN IND ISP IST JAX JFK KBP KUL LAS LAX LCY LED LEJ LGA LGB LGW LHR MAD MAN MCI MCO MDW MEL MEM MHT MIA MKE MNL MSN MSP MUC MXP NCE NRT NUE OAK OKC OMA ONT ORD ORF OSL PBI PDX PEK PHL PHX PIT PVD PVG RDU RIC RNO ROC RSW SAN SAT SEA SFO SIN SJC SJU SLC SMF SNA STL STR SVO SXF SYD SYR SZG TLL TPA TUL TUS TXL VIE VKO WAW YEG YHZ YOW YQR YUL YVR YWG YYC YYZ

As always, thanks for all your comments and participation - We love reading all that you have to say on here!

- The MileageBrain Crew

10. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Great to see things going well for you guys. MileageBrain has come a long way from its initial days!

MileageBrain likes this.
  11. neuatomic
    Original Member

neuatomic Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice! Noobie question: how best to book multi-city itinerary's when they show up on "The Brain"? For example, when I do a search on American, I see ORD-SFO. I click on 'Details' and both ways is a multi-leg. Is it best to just go right to AA multi-city, use the MileageBrain routing, and try to put approximate times in?

12. wanderwoman
    Original Member

wanderwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, what an improvement from the first time I visited! The first deal it found for my search was a great one!
    I love the site. OK, my home airport isn't there but hey, neither is GRR. :)
    Great job.

13. Thank you! GRR is available now on MileageBrain, but what's your home airport, wanderwoman? (love the username, btw)

14. wanderwoman
    Original Member

wanderwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    That would be TVC and thank you for the compliment on my username. I do use GRR on occasion however so that's good news that it is on there now.

15. mosquito

mosquito Active Member

Status Points:
    How did you guys get direct access to the AA api? Surprised that you're able to deep link to them.

16. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been enjoying using this tool, though I'm not enjoying the cheapest MR out of AUS coming in at over 11cpm, and that's just to DEN. :eek:

17. Remember that fares change per day (or in reality, far more frequently than that) - Today I'm finding 9.4 out of AUS to DEN.

We're getting to the stage where users will be signing up for accounts and inputting preferences so that the Brain can proactively recommend fares to you when it finds them. But for now, until we can find a way to pay for and support such a feature for everyone, it's manual searching at will.

18. Quick update - If you find a great mileage run somewhere else and it doesn't appear in MileageBrain's results, it may be that we don't know to check that route for MRs! You'll now see the option to "suggest a route" at the top of your search results. These suggestions will be automatically incorporated by the algorithm within 24 hours.

Please use it to help improve the search results for yourself and everyone else!