Mileage Upgrade successes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by cotter77, May 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    with all the hoopla of using mileage upgrades, given the big copays and the large chunk of miles, AND the need to buy the more expensive "upgradable" fare, does ANYONE find this useful?

is it just biz travelers riding on company Y/M/B fare tickets that beenfit from this?

2. jerseychris1
    Original Member

jerseychris1 Active Member

Status Points:
    I've taken advantage of the mileage upgrade at least a couple times when I know that I'm not going to get any kind of status upgrade. Sometimes it's just worth it for the comfier seat on long haul flights so that I can still earn EQM but not have to pay the full cost of a F/C seat.

3. miamigrad
    Original Member

miamigrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    On AA, you can mileage upgrade the lower fare buckets, too.

I find this useful in exactly a single instance: When I am traveling with 2 non-status companions... I can use my electronic upgrades for just (1) companion and me. I must upgrade the other companion with mileage + co-pay if I want all of us to travel together.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Different airlines/alliances have different rules, which are generally different for "domestic" (typically including Canada) and "international." Sometimes you can use miles strategically on flights for which you're unlikely to get a free upgrade (domestic). International requires either miles or some other upgrade instrument and generally involves restricted fare classes or co-payments, but lots of people do get such upgrades regularly.

5. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a non-elite who flies 20k/year (is getting to 2P worth a MR?), and can't find award space for my travel dates
    I have used mileage upgrades on UA for domestic transcons with discount economy tickets. When they were 15,000 miles and the copays were only $50 each way they didn't seem like a bad deal. I'm only paying $25 more than the bag fee, but I get a meal and priority lines, F seating, etc... (no lounges though)

With the new $75 copays and 20k miles for a SLKTG upgrade... I'm probably less likely to use it unless I'm forced to, or maybe if I'm on a p.s. flight.

Now with all of these miles burning a hole in my pocket... how do I spend them?

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    For some travel patterns, the MR would cost less than it would save in checked bag fees. Otherwise it's difficult to evaluate the value of better phone service, better IROPs handling, more bonus redeemable miles earned, etc. There's also some inconvenience to the MR (although some consider it fun as well) and miscellaneous costs involved such as airport transportation or parking, the excess cost of airport meals when you're away.

Can you find a cheap ticket that you can make into a mini-vacation? Instead of a "pure" MR where you turn around and never leave the airport, spend a night or a weekend someplace or at least pick some red eye flights that permit you to spend most of a day exploring a city that interests you.

Freddie Listo and yaychemistry like this.