Mileage Runs possible in Eurobonus?

Discussion in 'SAS | EuroBonus' started by SirRagnar, Feb 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dear all

I have been looking at setting up a mileage run to boost my EB account, but it seems very difficult since all cheap flights with *G only gives 25% points in EB.

Does anyone have experience with MR's in EB and can enlighten me if is even possible to do at a decent cpm? (I am not expecting US-style cpm's but something decent).

2. joemume
    Original Member

joemume Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're looking for miles only, then the options quickly vaporize. But segment runs can be done quite cheap, if you're going for segment requalification.
    The best way to do a SAS mileage run for miles is by booking Z-class intercontinental, maybe spiced with a double basic points campaign. Anyways, 30K points is easily achieved with a TATL-trip, combined with a US domestic leg i Z.

The downside of a Z-class TATL is the price, no doubt... ;)

3. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is for the miles only. I am not looking to re-qualify, but simply to earn more miles as cheap as possible :)

A TATL trip in Z is nice, but yes, a bit too much money.

I am considering finding a cheap CPH-HEL round-trip ticket on Blue1 and use optiontown to upgrade it. I presume that an optiontown upgrade on Blue1 also gives 200% so I could get (1100*200%*25%) = 2475 miles for that trip? (25% for EBG).
    Does anyone have a qualified guess of the price for a KF Optiontown upgrade CPH-HEL?

4. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're just after the miles you wouldn't have to fly sas either.. paid about 5000 NOK T/R OSL-NRT with austrian, that's 13 000 points earned, so about 2.6 points per NOK. ofcourse that's alot of hours on the plane so I'm guessing that might not be what you're looking for :)
    What about the new SK-route to new york? I'm guessing prices are good as they're still introducing the new route..

I'd guess about 50 euros each way for z-class CPH-HEL with optiontown..

5. Gnopps
    Original Member

Gnopps Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you do this then perhaps combine it with HEL-CDG/ZRH/FCO or somewhere else that will give you a lot of points if upgraded?

Otherwise I think it is best to find a 100% fare to Asia or USA.

6. view
    Original Member

view Silver Member

Status Points:
    After they ended European promos in V-class (when V earned 100%) I haven't really bothered with doing with MR on SK metal. I think it's better to look at good priced Extra og business fares on longhaul, like BKK or SIN.

Sometimes you can get good fares in Extra from Germany to Australia/New Zealand, and get a connecting flight from BKK in TG C.

7. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    EuroBonus is not a good program for the cheapo flyer, like myself. Due to the 25% earnings, I haven't flown intercontinental SK for a long time. Perhaps you should look at a non-european program, and not fly SK.

8. Fredrik
    Original Member

Fredrik Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's more like SAS is not a good airline for the cheapo flyer. You can get *G with Eurobonus but you need to fly something else.

Why not try LH Italia in Business class for 1270 SEK one-way?

9. Chriscross
    Original Member

Chriscross Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was this in booking class "V". Seems like a very good deal.

10. Chriscross
    Original Member

Chriscross Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you use ITA-software to find Lufthansa flights in booking class "S" within Europe they will give you 750 miles for each leg. These can be found for less than 2000 NOK, guess prices from other Scandinavian cities are the same.

Some of the shops at the shopping portal can also give you easy points, for example "ink-club".

11. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    2000 NOK for 750 miles is close to 47 US cents per mile. That makes a EB point 10 times more expensive than a UA, AC, or US mile. Wow. You can buy US miles at less than 15 US cent the mile from their website. With the current redemption chart, buying the miles with US air is cheaper than your proposed mileage run.

12. ILS2

ILS2 Active Member

Status Points:
    EuroBonus is horrible for MRs. As mentioned above, MRs within Europe mostly disappeared when O-class was introduced for campaigns, as well as when V-class went down the 25% drain. You can do the Swiss J-class within Europe, but the cost per mile is still quite high. Another option is LH Italia out of ARN, but since you only earn actual miles flown on partner airlines, you still need to spend a lot of extra hours in the air to make it worthwhile.

Back in the days, you could do ARN-LIN-ARN-CDG-ARN in one day in V-class (1800*4*EBG/EBS bonus) for a low as 4-500 SEK per segment, which was a good deal (each leg is aprox 2 hrs). I remember in August 2009, a Swedish V-class campaign came at the same time as a 'double points'-campaign (both basic and extra points), which made me aprox 9 miles per SEK. Good times!

These days, booking cheap Economy tickets on longhaul flights which you expekt to oversell (typically around peak seasons), and going for Optiontown to Economy Extra, gives the best value, but it's a true shame if the upgrade doesn't go through. I hate sitting on a plane knowing that for each mile I fly, only 25% is credited to my account :p

...that's probably why I hardly spend my miles on award flights ;)

13. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    you could buy EB-points for about 4cents (USD) per point, which is one of the reasons why I don't really see the point of flying only for the points with the EB-program (since you would be very lucky to find a deal where you earn points for less than 6cents per point), unless you really really love spending your time on that plane, or unless you need some points for the status - where buying points would give you none.

And buying points doesn't make much sense to me either, unless you're a couple of 1000 points short for something big, as the value when spending the points would surely be reduced to 1 cent per point, at best.
    (might get a little better value for upgrades, depending on the flight, but it's still marginal)

I'm sure the US has deals much better suited for mileage-runs than europe. The only possible deal I can think of, if they lifted the ban on domestic miles in norway, is a ticket like Wideroe's "explore norway", where you could fly domestic unlimited for 14 days.

14. Chriscross
    Original Member

Chriscross Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry for being unclear. You can combine 6 legs which gives 4500 miles.

15. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is okay [​IMG]. I made a decimal error in my post above. With the current promotion you can buy US Airways miles for just under 1.5 cent per mile.

16. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tried optiontown on SK OSL-ZRH, but no go (UTo not available). Do you have to have a certain amount of time before your flight to be able to apply for an upgrade (think I had about a week when I tried it), or is it usually only possible on longer hauls when it comes to SK?

17. Gnopps
    Original Member

Gnopps Silver Member

Status Points:
    SK does not offer any intra-European upgrades on OT, however KF does.

torbster likes this.
  18. Chriscross
    Original Member

Chriscross Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not exactly a milage run, but since you are not in need of status points you could get Trumf card and shop at Meny (supermarket) in Norway. When you transfer to Eurobonus you will get 13,4 points for every 100 NOK you have spend. Right now you will get 1% extra Trumf bonus for every gold Norway gets during the World Championship in Oslo. If Norway gets 5 golds, you will end up with almost 1 eb point for every NOK you spend. Trumf Visa will always give you 47,5 EB points for every 100 NOK you use in Norgesgruppen´s supermarkets.

19. Someone
    Original Member

Someone Silver Member

Status Points:
    And now werre having 4 golds*. So if you shop at Meny using Trumf Visa you get 3%+4%, (non-Trumf Visa gets 1%+4) which equals about 0.94 EB points per krone spent........and the Nordic Ski World Cup isn't over yet :D

* That's 3 more than the Swedes :D

20. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    You've got 7 days left.. fill up your freezers! :p

21. HerrO
    Original Member

HerrO Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have several times used the following to produce a short of a MR on SK:

Book a cheap M class ticket in one of the promos deals on TATL. Then upgrade using OptionTown to either Y+ or C. This can be done from M->C for around EUR 300,- per segment. This is good value and points per EUR. Last time was in November from CPH-ORD and gave me over 21K EB points. Total price for the ticket incl OT was EUR 1100,-

/HerrO

SirRagnar likes this.
  22. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's a fair price, and a good amount of points. Depends on the purpose of your MR really.. if you're looking for points that count for status, or if you want a trip to ORD (and not just turn around and go back immediately), then it's a pretty sweet deal.
    If you just want points I guess you could buy 40k for the same price and save the flight-time, or like last year where they had the deal that gave 25k points for about 430 euros.

23. Fredrik
    Original Member

Fredrik Silver Member

Status Points:
    The downside is that you can't be sure that the upgrade goes through. I mean, if you still wanted to travel then no big deal but I'm not sure it's so good as a mr. At least not near the end of a qualifying period.

24. Kris Saw
    Original Member

Kris Saw Active Member

Status Points:
    I'll be doing that this weekend (except in Z). If my maths are right the points earned will bump me back into gold territory.

25. Captainfire
    Original Member

Captainfire Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen some nice KF fares x-CPH a couple of times, connecting to a city in finland, ex. CPH-HEL-VAA for about 130€ a/i, apply optiontown to that and the earning should come to 20k points. (Including the promos that's on right now) Totalt price should be somewhere around the 250€ mark.

I've done similar things myself in the past even getting < 0.01€/point sometimes.

torbster and SirRagnar like this.