Mileage Run towards Diamond Medallion on Delta Air Lines

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by snc1019, Nov 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. snc1019

snc1019 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Having been out of work for 9 months I will be just under 20,000 MQM's short of maintaining the highest level with Delta Air Lines that I have achieved for the last 15 years. I will end the year right at 104,598 MQM's! Any mileage runs or suggestions out there to hit Diamond Medallion?

2. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does being out of work for 9 months affect the rationale for trying to maintain DM? I mean was this a voluntary decision (e.g. sabbatical) and you'll be back at work next year for sure or do you have little control over your employment and just hope to have a job where you can leverage DM status next year?

If I knew I had a job which utilized DM status, I would consider the cost to obtain the remaining 20k miles... otherwise I wouldn't because you'll still be platinum and have 30k MQM's rolling over to earning status next year.

3. snc1019

snc1019 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Being out of work due to a company that simply ran out of money. I know I know I will carry over 30,000 but would have liked to maintain the perks of Diamond.

4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    snc1019,

Welcome to MP. It really depends on your flying patterns for next year.

- Do you fly domestic or international?
    - Do you have an AMEX card that gets you lounge access?
    - How much flying do you plan to do in 2012?

Depending on where you travel and what is important will dictate if PM or DM is a better fit.

5. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    To add onto rwoman's post, if you don't get the basic priority benefits from Delta through a credit card... it might make sense to guarantee yourself Silver through 2013 by rolling over the 30k. Of course, if you see yourself employed in the near future and doing travel that usually leads to Diamond, I think $2K would probably be worth the 20k miles... my g/f who is a DM has been upgraded 100% of the time on her eligible flights and the free lounge access is nice.

iloveawardtravel likes this.
  6. $832 a/i to Ho Chi Mehn City (SGN)....depends on where your home base is. I'm out of Indy...so IND-DTW-LGA-ICN-SGN and back is a little over 20K MQM.

7. Insider scoop

Insider scoop Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi...I'm a newbie so take this as a general discussion point. I just talked to my ex-husband...yes that is possible after the fact. He was grandfathered in to his status so it seems to me after 15 years a call to Delta is worth the energy so ask for a one time upgrade and well go for it. Like to hear how that turns out. C-