Mileage run to keep United 1K status & be a million miler

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by ralphmo, Aug 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ralphmo

ralphmo Active Member

Status Points:
    Been a CO onepass platinum elite for several years - made the 1K level for 2012. Of course the game has changed with the United take-over. Will certainly make Gold level this year - maybe Platinum and reach the million mile status. What is current wisdom about doing mileage runs to make 1K and any recommendations - Houston base.

thanks

desamo likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It all depends on what it will cost you and what you'll get in value from the benefits.

The main difference for me at Platinum is the lower fees, particularly with award flights. That's HUGE to me though i know that others value it much less. There are also RPUs and GPUs eventually. And more RDMs on next year's travel. If you're going to be flying enough next year to take advantage of those benefits and you can get the net tier at a reasonable price then it isn't a bad deal. If the benefits are not going to be valuable or if the runs are too expensive then I'd look at other things to do.

mht_flyer likes this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some would argue that it was a CO take-over, but the deal is done and it's water under the bridge. I am, however, generally happy with the new airline now that service has been steadily improving after the glitches that followed the migration to a single system. The addition of the CO Latin/South America routes is HUGE, as is the addition of more complementary routes all around.

If you do much intl travel, going for 1K to get GPUs is worth it (a must, really) and it pays for itself after you fly up front just a couple of times... otherwise the Plat level should suffice to earn most of the other perks...

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  4. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will definitely be finding a way to hit 1k as I travel between iah and Europe regularly and look to be only 6000 miles short. Mileage runs from iah have been difficult for me to find. Best I see right now is close to 10 Cpm, but I'm still looking.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Award accelerator will sell EQMs for 7.5 cpm to me at the moment, so I'd not be interested in paying 10 cents for a pure MR :)

6. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't suggest striving for 1K status for the GPUs. UA's upgrade roulette is simply too expensive.

Quasiconvexity likes this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Either that or pay for premium seats -- an expensive proposition that is against company rules -- or be resigned to seating in E+ on long-haul TPAC trips (done that and it ain't fun)... I'd rather play the UA upgrade roulette.

8. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    For the extra 1000 or so, you'd probably be better off trying to upgrade with miles and cash. At least that way if your upgrade doesn't clear, there is no $ loss. Then again, if you fly paid int'l C, the upgrades to UA or LH F - where available - would be something that makes the roulette much more palatable.

TPAC Y on UA sucks but it really isn't that bad...except when "Oceans" is looping all flight on a 747.

9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Paid intl C or F is out of question. If you could afford either, it would make GPUs a moot point, would it not? My situation may be special and tailor-made for GPUs because most of my intl trips are for business, for which company rules allow booking of the cheapest GPUable Y fare (W). I pay for it and get reimbursed, while stocking up on PQMs to requalify status and on RDMs for my year-end personal travel, which usually costs me almost no out-of-pocket expenses. Considering the circumstances, it would be criminal for me not to go for the top elite status:)

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends on the routes and dates, I suppose. I've only paid extra when I can confirm them and I'm all out once again.

But if it does clear you're out a whole bunch of miles, worth more than the gamble in many cases.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    In my totally not scientific and very limited analysis, the difference between W and lowest fare on the routes I have considered flying has been less dramatic than during the pre-merger days. You might have more data to contradict or back me up on this.

That said, the confirming at booking part has been virtually impossible for me this year, so a lottery it is, but not as expensive as in the past. And historically I have cleared every upgrade I applied for... (but it doesn't look too good for my flight in a couple weeks).

12. jaws02

jaws02 Active Member

Status Points:
    Agree that for the MR alone, it wouldn't appear to much sense, but if you go choose somewhere you enjoy, then its better then just paying for EQMs alone because you benefit from the "trip" as well as the "destination" :)

13. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    But it doesn't give you lifetime miles, which is one thing the OP wanted.

14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's a good point to note.

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Indeed. I certainly value the destination as well... and my time. So I try to get an interesting trip out of every flight.

Sedosi and Wandering Aramean like this.
  16. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely agree. I only book W fares if I can clear in advance. That being said, I've wasted or given away a bunch of SWUs over the past few years because there has been a lack of availability at booking. Interestingly, my domestic upgrades have been clearing so that has been a welcomed bonus (except when the GA gave my seats away at IAH a couple months ago)