mileage run out of MSP

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by rshort02, Nov 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Looking for suggestions on a mileage run out of MSP to the West Coast

2. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. Thanks, will take a look at this site.

4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never been able to get much worthwhile out of that search. It only returns 500 results pre-filter, and by the time you filter to select carrier or alliance, most of those are gone. For example, when I filter for flights out of MSP to North America, only on Skyteam carriers, I end up with only 67 fares, even though DL is about the only viable option out of MSP. This really is not enough, and does not necessarily include the best fares.

If the tool would filter on the front end and return more results, it'd be a lot more useful.

ONT typically is pretty reasonable, also palm springs.

5. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    have you tried hipmunk? thats seems to be giving better "real" fates.

http://www.hipmunk.com/

6. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I typically use ita for pricing itineraries and looking for fares that are available. My problem with farecompare isn't that it doesn't show "real" fares - I just want it to return what's published, as it's supposed to. ITA or Hipmunk would be the next stop after that, to see when and if the fare is actually available. The idea of what the farecompare search is supposed to do is great - show published fares that might be available, so you know what the best case to shoot for is. The problem is that it doesn't actually do this or even come close.

Delta has much more than 67 domestic destinations with fares published out of MSP. It's tough to use ITA as a starting point when that's all it returns to look at, and using either ITA or Hipmunk as a starting point is to some extent shooting in the dark.

7. What do you think of hipmunk? I like the UI - you too?