Mileage Run out of DAY to SEA

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by jmarv357, Oct 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jmarv357

jmarv357 Member

Status Points:
    Hello All,

I'm new to true mileage running, although I've been adding segments in my flights to get extra miles for a while. I have some questions for all the pros out there.

First, I am set to come up about 7,000 miles short of Platinum on DL this year. Do you all agree that it is worth getting to platinum this year instead of just rolling the 18,000 miles over?

Second, the best MR flight I can find out of the cincinnati area is DAY-ATL-SEA-ATL-DAY at about 5.5 CPM. I know this isn't particularly great, but late to the party beggars can't be choosers. I would also end up with about 10 hours in SEA between flights. Does anyone know if the airport there kicks you out overnight or will I just be able to camp out for the 6:15am return flight?

2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    jmarv357,

Welcome to MP.

PM versus 18k roll overs depends on what your travel plans are in the future and where you fly. What is important (upgrades, SWU's, Award Ticket fee waivers, etc) also factor in to this decision.

Take a look at the Sleeping in Airports SEA site...looks like you could stay in the airport.

:)robin

3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think they kick you out, but there is a 24/7 restaurant across the street that's pretty good (13 Coins; you can walk to it) or you could take the light rail into town and party it up on Capitol Hill for a few hours. :cool:

4. Tarpie
    Original Member

Tarpie Silver Member

Status Points:
    My first ever mileage runs involved overnighting in SEA. The airport is 24 hours, with a Qdoba and a coffee shop in the main terminal open all night. It was amazing how many people were milling about and sleeping in the terminal. I just setup at a table near a power outlet at Anthony's and took advantage of the free wifi all night.

5. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The light rail doesn't run all night.

You also could just PL an airport hotel and sleep. You ought to be able to get something for <$40-$50.

6. TexasYankee

TexasYankee Silver Member

Status Points:
    have you tried flight combos out of Cinncinnati? Yes to overnight - Delta uses the "S" concourse which is deserted at night. Before I started using the redeye back I would put the computer bag on the free luggage cart and do laps around the S concourse. There is also an overhead TV which may have sports. SEA also has free wifi in the airport. May work if you stream Netflix on the computer or other device.

I keep status every yer by flying many times at cheap fares AUS-MSP or ATL or DFW - SEA with same on the return using the redeye back to MSP. Not sure of redeye schedules - it used to go to DTW.

If you have a skyclub membership it is open 5:30AM - 12:30 AM if I recall. They have a "quiet" room for snoozing.

THe Platinum upgrade works most of the time ... but don't go for it in case I have to compete with you for the upgrade on the redeye ... :)

7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    UGH, I don't envy your location. CVG is one of the highest priced airports to fly in/out of, DAY used to be a great option but seems the airlines & other pax have caught on so DAY is usually out of the range of what I'm willing to pay. CMH & CLE seem to be the most reasonable airports in OH (IMO).
    try not to camp out the entire time you are there, try to take the light rail (even for a couple hours) & walk around a bit downtown if possible.

8. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even IND can be in play if "CVG area" is actually the Kentucky side (F9 competes well).

Sweet Willie likes this.
  9. SEABrad

SEABrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Correct, but with a 10 hour layover it is unlikely it would not be running when the OP needs it. They would have no problem leaving SeaTac, but might need to cab in the morning at least to the Stadiums as the first train from Westlake only reaches the airport by 5:44AM.

With 10 hours I would certainly try to plan something, there is too much to do/see in Seattle unless you've already done it all (or you like sleeping in airports :))