Mileage run on AA?

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by monkeyninja, Dec 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Hello all - a newbie here with a very simple question - I'm about to lose Platinum status on AA - and I have between now and 12/31 to make up around 5,000 miles - would anyone be so kind as to shed light on the most cost effective way one might be able to do this?

Tenmoc and JohnDeere19 like this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    to help with answers, where are you based, can you travel on weekdays, is international ok, etc etc. The more you state about your situation, the better responses you will receive.

jetsetr likes this.
  5. Ah sorry, all good questions. I am based in NYC, so could travel from EWR, LGA and JFK. I have no significant restrictions, I would be willing to travel on Xmas day if it's cheaper, thank you other who have responded, I'll check out the links, and would welcome any advice for a novice who ought to have flown a bit more with AA this year. :/

JohnDeere19, Tenmoc and Sweet Willie like this.
  6. International travel is totally fine too - its more the cost issue - is there a value one would ascribe to "platinum"? Ie have you heard of people spending $1,000 on a flight just to maintain status? I imagine $500 would be as much as I could stretch before I started to think the cost outweighed the benefit...

7. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it totally depends on your planned travel in 2012. Do you value upgrades? If so, Platinum may not meet your needs if you don't have a bunch of 500-mile upgrades in your account and/or if you won't be flying enough 10000 mile increments so that you can earn more upgrade certs. Do you value elite bonus miles for award redemption? Then at Plat, the 100% elite bonus is great, but again, only if your planned travel in 2012 will mean you are actually maximizing your elite bonus mileage earning opportunities.

In my mind, if you spend x dollars to maintain/achieve status, you need to know that you will be able to leverage your status into a value that is some multiple of x. And in reality, only you can place a value on what elite status means to you.

That having been said, generally, if you can make a run that costs less than $0.10 CPM (if you are desperate), or more like $0.04 to $0.06 CPM (we are talking about holiday season travel, after all), then it will be worth it. But again, the caveat is that you have to have an objective in mind before you embark on the runs. For example, will you look to keep status for 2013, and if so, what's your plan to achieve that?

8. hotelexec

hotelexec Active Member

Status Points:
    Welcome Ninja! Great to have you here!

Take advantage of the AA double EQM promotion from ORD or DFW to SFO or LAX. I booked a flight for less than 200.00 return. Register first...then rack up the EQM. One trip should net me about 7K in EQM's.

Good Luck! Happy travels.

9. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isn't DEQM limited to residents of IL, CA, TX ?

10. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed Willie it is. Our OP would not be able to use this.

A little late to the conversation but to the OP, if you are really 5000 flat away from plat, a simple run to SFO would do this. Even at an insane $500 for the RT, you'd get the miles you need. If you need some more miles, consider using LGA instead of NYC to price it and force a connection in DFW. Next Tuesday and Wednesday you can do same day trips from NYC to SFO for 319-330 depending upon routing. It goes way up after that although Saturday the 17th and Sunday the 18th can be done for under 400.

I have no looked for a better run, just offering an example of something you say will work for you.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  11. @Jetsetr - All good points and food for thought. In all honesty, I don't have a "plan". I travel around 50k a year for business mostly, so I will always "just about" get there. My schedule is completely unpredictable, but fair to assume that my goal is to maintain platinum going forward, for the upgrades if nothing else!

@Hotelexec - I looked into this, but it won't apply to me as I'm not a resident of TX, IL or CA - also the points are deferred to next year's programme (2012 for flights in 2011) - would have been a great option though!

One more thing - I am now flying to SF between Xmas and New Years (embarrassed to even mention the CPM)- potentially could make a mileage run for a day out of SFO -- I'll use the above resources to figure out where I could go on a return flight to make up the remaining 2,500 miles - any suggestions welcome, and THANK YOU ALL again, I'm a fan of this site already!

12. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not relevant to you, but in case anyone else was wondering...

The wording of the T&Cs is confusing, but the EQMs you earn through this promotion are for the same year of status because technically you're earning EQMs in 2011 for status in 2012 for these flights that you're already considering taking.

monkeyninja and Tenmoc like this.
  13. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    That was my reading of it as well.

I think the use of years threw people off.

JohnDeere19 and monkeyninja like this.
  14. You're right, I misspoke - this is what happens when you read T&C at 1am on your iPhone...

JohnDeere19 likes this.