Mileage run newbie

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by gmarchetti, Feb 22, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. gmarchetti

gmarchetti Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am thinking of a quick mileage run to achieve status with Delta.
    It is the first time I do that, so do I need to actually exit the airport and go through security again or may I just exit one gate, go to the next one and come back?

2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Generally you'll just walk over to the departure gate, present your boarding pass, and continue on. There would be no reason to exit the secure area unless there was a terminal change involved.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind that, for most passengers, status on DL also has a spend component. Make sure that works with your plan to take a mileage run.

4. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    OP's other post indicates that he's SEA-based and looking to switch from AS in order to get better access to DL premium redemptions to Europe.

https://milepoint.com/forums/thread...ou-change-carriers.108046/page-2#post-2559335

To say the least, going to Delta SkyPeses on the principle of "I'll buy a bunch of cheap domestic Y and redeem in longhaul C" is... probably not going to work all that great. That is exactly what DL is trying to kill off. Now, if one can manufacture sufficient spend in AMEX, that's another story...

5. PlowJockey

PlowJockey Silver Member

Status Points:
    gmarchetti, best of luck. While mileage-running is harder to pull off as a pure play given the switch to revenue-based status at DL and UA, it is still possible to set a budget and see a lot of new places while you earn status. I'm based in SEA as well, and have been an "opportunistic" elite traveler on AA for several years, achieving and maintaining Executive Platinum status for < $4,000 per year. (I'm sure others are able to do it more cheaply - I'm an amateur). If you have some reimbursed travel for work, even better!

Switching carriers (e.g. AS to AA in LAX or SFO) is more likely to require changing terminals. But going from one DL gate to another is unlikely to require that. I encourage you to schedule flights that allow you to stay at least a day, however - you can see a lot in a few daylight hours and make plans for a longer visit later.