Mileage run fron EWR to HKG

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by m95680, Apr 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. m95680

m95680 New Member

Status Points:
    I am new to the forum and planning my first run.
    Since most of my miles are with Continental (now United), I am planning to fly out of EWR via SFO to HKG on 5/4 and returns on 5/6 in reverse. for $1.2K and ending with 19K miles (6.3cpm)
    Is this a good deal?
    All Comments are welcome!

Also, I will stay on the ground for 12 - 15 hrs in HK, any good place to stay or go?

hulagrrl210 and JohnDeere19 like this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    $12k for 19k miles :eek:...do you mean $1,200?

3. m95680

m95680 New Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I meant 1200

4. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    actually its now $1076

the only bad thing is its the 744 , Id 1st check if its possible for you to go on other dates to see if you can do say a NY-XXX-NRT-HKG yea its a 738 NRT-HKG but the TPAC can be a 777 which is alot better then being on the 744, tried a FD but all it did was drop apx $30

It comes out @ .055 per EQM alittle high for me unless Im using a VDB or something to get the fare lower

5. m95680

m95680 New Member

Status Points:
    I can do the run only from Fri to Sun, options are limited

6. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    then its not so bad , just not great. At the same time if it was possible for me to do 3 runs to LA area via SF (6k per r/t) I might do that instead as I wouldnt get as knocked out, assuming each trip was $358 or less , plus Id use 3 of my ecerts of $200-250 that would knock the fare way down

But if you want an Intl trip and as much miles as you can get the $1076 EWR-HKG is about the best youd find for now

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  7. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Around 5 cpm is not that bad. You could probably do a bunch of domestic runs for less (like 3-4 cpm) but the advantage to doing this international trip is that you get a lot of miles in one shot.

In addition to the LA area you might want to check fares to Sacramento. I just did a SMF-EWR run yesterday and have another one coming up in 2 weeks. When I booked I think the base fare was only like $95 each way. You can route via IAD/DCA in addition to LAX/SFO or even IAH for more miles. Also try PSP. The man I sat next to on the plane yesterday was flying there said he only paid like $250 for his ticket via LAX one way and SFO on the other.

8. m95680

m95680 New Member

Status Points:
    Thank you, everyone.
    The trip is set, I am going to HK next week. Now just need to find a hotel for the night and might a few hours of party.

9. onfo

onfo Silver Member

Status Points:
  10. supersonic88

supersonic88 New Member

Status Points:
    Seems pretty reasonable to me... but then again I'm a newbie