Mileage Redemption Stopover Question

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by UTIceberg, Dec 15, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. UTIceberg

UTIceberg Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm a little confused about how the free stopover on a mileage redemption ticket works. Specifically, how does one go about booking the ticket to get the desired result? I'm looking to come book a mileage ticket starting in AUS going to Europe and would like to use the stopover on my return to AUS before continuing on to EWR at a later date. Appreciate any help in explaining how I need to properly book this. Thanks.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stopover at the point of origin isn't likely to work. Otherwise booking happens via multi-city search online or by calling in.

3. UTIceberg

UTIceberg Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the follow-up but I'm not sure I'm following or perhaps I'm not explaining this correctly. Isn't the concept that you can basically opt to remain at a particular stop indefinitely before continuing on to your final destination on the same ticket, essentially getting what amounts to a free "one-way" to a particular city?

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are plenty of theories on how it is supposed to work. Reality says that it rarely works with the stopover at the point of origin, though it used to (and all the blogs/websites started calling it a "free one-way" at that time).