Mileage Reactivation. Worth it?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by wolfsatz, Apr 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. wolfsatz
    Original Member

wolfsatz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Back in the days before I had a clue, I had roughly 50,000 AA miles that I allowed to expire. According to AA I can reactive them for $50 per 5,000 (.01 CPM) plus a $30 fee. Any opinions on whether or not it would be worth it to spend the $530 to reactivate them?

2. miamigrad
    Original Member

miamigrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you called to ask about the reengagement challenge?

See:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ivate-restore-expired-miles-consolidated.html

That aside, I would value those miles at approximately $750. YMMV, of course.

Gargoyle likes this.
  3. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    At 1 cpm, seems like a good deal. A great mileage run is is 3 cpms

4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, but if you sign up for the re-engagement challenge and you meet the requirements within 6 months you get them back for free.

0cpm > 1 cpm.

:)

Wurm and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Their re-engagement challenge conditions as of today:

* Earn 750 base miles with a Citi AAdvantage card (apply / receive a credit or debit card and use it)
    * OR earn 5k miles from transactions with at last 3 different partners on their e-shopping mall
    * OR fly 1 roundtrip on AA and earn at least 750 base miles each way

That's good for up to 50k miles. If you need to reactivate up to 200k and you already have the Citi card then you have to do the partner spend or fly the 750 miles.

If you need to reactivate even more than 200k then you need to fly an additional roundtrip or earn another 5k miles from their e-shopping mall (10k total).

I suppose the flights are the easiest if you're already planning on traveling, or apply for a Citi card or open an account and get the AA debit card would qualify you right away. The shopping mall stuff is relatively simple too but it's not free... signing up for weekend delivery of the Boston Globe ($25) and the NY Times ($30) you end up with 4,700 miles right there.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The re-engagement challenge looks like as great deal, especially if it works for long-expired miles or miles that have expired at different times.

7. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only pay to get back expired miles if you think you can use them. If they expired because you use a different airline, let them rest in peace. Otherwise 1 cents per mile is a good deal and free a great deal.

8. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    FYI
    .01 cpm = $0.50 for 5,000...1 cpm = $50 for 5,000 ;)

9. syphlix
    Original Member

syphlix Silver Member

Status Points:
    i did the $750 spend challenge and thought it was well worth it... even though i only had 25k at the time...

you're gonna spend the money anyways... 50k miles is a lot to just let disappear i can't imagine a cpl domestic coach fares not coming in handy at some point...

10. wolfsatz
    Original Member

wolfsatz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the responses all. I will look into my reactivation options and post my experience.

11. wolfsatz
    Original Member

wolfsatz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, I wish I had a "That was Easy" button laying around. Called the AAdvantage customer service number which is actually one of the better voice driven menu systems for an airline that I've encountered. Got through to a representative and explained what I was trying to do, unfortunately the first representative immediately forwarded me to sign up for a Citi AAdvantage Visa for a 35,000 mile sign up bonus on $750 spend. "That'll give you 85,000 miles at the end of it." The rep had transferred me before I really had a chance to understand what he was saying. I already currently hold a Citi AAdvantage card and wouldn't be eligible.

So I called back and explained the situation to the next rep and she said, all you have to do is spend $750 on your current Citi AAdvantage card or fly 1 trip on AA or earn 5,000 miles from 3 different partners and they'll reactivate the 50,000 miles.

I've got a wedding coming up so getting the $750 spend shouldn't be a problem however, with all the 30th Anniversary promos going on with AA I might just take a few MR's to pump up the account.

Gargoyle likes this.
  12. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did they send you the email with the confirmation that you're enrolled? Remember you have six months from the time they "flip the switch" and turn on the re-engagement challenge.

13. wolfsatz
    Original Member

wolfsatz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I just got the email with a PDF attachment that spells out the challenge.

Gargoyle likes this.
  14. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cool. Have fun. Another MP win. :)

travelinmike33 likes this.
  15. wolfsatz
    Original Member

wolfsatz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had all but written those miles off. Thanks for everyone's help! Huge win!

Next challenge will be trying to figure out how to maximize a OneWorld award with a combination of ~100,000 BA miles and ~90,000 American miles.

Gargoyle likes this.
  16. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Let us know where you want to go and what you want to do, the AA MPers will help you plan. Just not in this thread though. We want to keep it on topic. ;)

17. wolfsatz
    Original Member

wolfsatz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Will do. Thanks DD

Gargoyle likes this.