Mileage Program Advice

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by traveltv74, Jan 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. traveltv74

traveltv74 Member

Status Points:
    This is my first post so I hope this is in the right section. I figured since I am new this was the place to be.
    I need some advice and thoughts. I travel all over the U.S. (and international from time to time) for work and for the past two plus years I've stuck to flying with either Delta or United. I was Gold on both all through last year but with a few months of little travel, I have been brought down to just Silver on both. I guess my question is, if I had to pick between Delta and United, which one would be better program wise? I live in Los Angeles where United is a hub but Delta is also a semi hub here as well. If you were in this dilema, which carrier would you try to stick with that gives the best perks? If I stick with one, I could probably get to 75-100,000 miles. At that range, who will give me the better perks?

Jimgotkp and miles and smiles like this.
  2. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't answer your question, but welcome to Milepoint!

Mikel and Jimgotkp like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right now I would say DL in order to avoid being caught in the merger mess. After the dust has settled, you should reevaluate. (I am a survivor of the NW/DL merger and it was horrible. I never felt confident that my ticket had been issued and reisusued properly until the plane left the ground on my last segment.)

Mikel, dogwalker and Jimgotkp like this.
  4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd go with UA since you will be Premier Platinum once you reach 75K and 1K once you reach 100K. You will still get Y+ at the time of booking which is a good benefit. Personally, UA miles are more valuable than that of DL miles. If you think you can get 100K then I would go after AA's EXP since those eight SWUs are quite valuable along with the UDUs.

Mikel, JohnDeere19 and dogwalker like this.
  5. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Agree with Jimgotkp. I believe that UA has much better benefits and their awards are much easier to redeem.

As for the merger, UA and CO have been working on it for some time and I suspect that there will be few problems.

Mikel, Jimgotkp and JohnDeere19 like this.
  6. traveltv74

traveltv74 Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the advice. I'm leaning towards United just for the mere fact that we are a hub and I do fly to Chicago quite a bit which is their major hub as we all know. It just sucks because I was 2500 miles short of gold and there was no way to buy miles to get me there. Delta did but I needed about 16,000 miles and didn't want to pay $1,800 to get to Gold. When I was Gold on USAirways they had an offer at he time to buy completely into the same status. I don't like USAirways enough to do that. Sorry about the tangent.
    The thing I like about flying first class on Delta versus United is that a lot of Delta's fleet that flies out of L.A. have the personal entertainment screens whereas United does not. I wish United would retrofit their seats for Dish Network programming.

Mikel and Jimgotkp like this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    At the end of 2011, DL allowed you to buy only 10,000 MQMs, IIRC for about $900. You could also get an additional 2500 MQMs IIRC by purchasing a lounge membership for about $300-700, depending on elite status level.

To get 16,000 MQMs without flying would have required more than one MQM gift from an AmEx Reserve DL card.

Jimgotkp likes this.
  8. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    CO had/has an Elite Maximizer option that, with linked accounts, allows you to buy elite qualifying miles (EQMs) and get over the threshold for UA Gold (with linked accounts). I don't know (and am too lazy to research) whether it will survive post-merger.

Also, there's no objective answer to your question. It all depends on flying patterns and preferences. The advice you're seeing isn't bad - in fact, it's quite good - but it's influenced by the preferences of the authors. Welcome to Milepoint!

Mikel likes this.
  9. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP traveltv74!

Mikel likes this.
  10. traveltv74

traveltv74 Member

Status Points:
    All the advice is helpful. It is true that each person's thoughts are based on their own flying habits and base cities.
    I could complicate my decision even more by throwing in which team or alliance will suit me best for flying overseas but I don't think I am going to go there yet. Too soon in the new year.
    By the way. How do you get all the travel icons and your point status on your profile?

11. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points: