Mileage Plus or Sapphire

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by ocmikelaw, Feb 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ocmikelaw

ocmikelaw Member

Status Points:
    I had decided that I would apply for the Chase Sapphire in mid March. Today I got an email from United Plus offering 60,000 (50,000 after first spend). I got the Chase Continental card in December. I was going to wait 3 months to apply for another Chase card but the United offer ends on February 29. I had 3 pulls in December on Experian because I'm in SoCal but my score is still high 700s. Oh, and I don't have any particular strategy or destination planned. Please give me some feedback and thank you..

tondoleo likes this.
  2. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Go for the United. You can always get the sapphire later. Some of the bloggers who like to push the credit cards made a big deal out of the fact that they had to label the 50k offer on the sapphire as limited time only, but who knows what that means. I remember when they made a huge deal out of the ink card supposedly going away and what a bunch of BS that turned out to be. So I say go for the one that you actually know is for a limited time.

tondoleo likes this.
  3. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Sapphire Preferred offer may very well be changing at some point in the near future (as the Ink Bold did in November - it changed to an entirely new card), but that being said, in your shoes I would go for the United card over the Sapphire since your CO card may convert to a United and you would lose that opportunity. You may have a little trouble since you just got a Chase card two months ago, but if you are willing to roll the dice, that would be my choice.

tondoleo and YULtide like this.
  4. wwasser

wwasser Active Member

Status Points:
    Read the fine print first. I'm under the impression that if your CO card was not approved before a certain date (last July? Don't remember the exact date), you are not eligible to get the 50k bonus only once between the CO card and the UA one.

Rules may have changed though... Or Chase might choose not to enforce the rule...

tondoleo likes this.
  5. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Extra Pack of Peanuts Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are unsure as to whether you can get the 50k from United, as wwasser mentioned above, you could always go the route of the Sapphire. Sapphire will transfer to 50k United miles if you wish anyway, so you aren't missing out on anything there.

The only reason I'd go United is if you knew that you'd be able to get the 50k points (eventhough you just got the CO card not so recently ago). Then, you could wait on the Sapphire and hope that the offer doesn't change for the worse. But with that plan, you have two potential road bumps: not getting the United points and the Sapphire changing for the worse. Depends how risky you want to be with it.

I also personally love the Sapphire for everyday use as well, so that's a plus.

tondoleo likes this.
  6. ocmikelaw

ocmikelaw Member

Status Points:
    Reading the fine print, wwasser hit it on the head. Can't get the points from UA. That solves that problem.

tondoleo likes this.