Mileage Plus Life Time Gold

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Travelgurl, Aug 4, 2014.  |  Print Topic

?

Does anyone know how the lifetime Gold is calculated for United's mileage plus?

1. .

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. .

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. .

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Travelgurl

Travelgurl Active Member

Status Points:
    I have always wondered how the Lifetime Gold Membership is calculated on UAL. I travel quite a bit, mainly transatlantic trips. I have been a Gold/Platinum with United for at least 10 years, but those Lifetime Miles never seem to increase. Well, actually, they do, but very, very slowly. Does anyone know how these miles are calculated. Is it based on actual miles vs. fare class? I have searched high and low on UAL site to figure out how they calculate these miles, but it must be all one big secret because I have found absolutely zilch!

Counsellor and 8MiHi like this.
  2. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    8MiHi, Sammich and Flyer1976 like this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Formula is quite simple actually

MM(*G) = BIS(UA).

You must achieve the million miler (MM) status, which entitles to you to Lifetime UA Premier Gold status, which also enjoys *A Gold status (*G), all of which can be achieved only by flying 1,000,000 Butt-In-Seat (BIS) UA miles.

Miles earned by flying with *A or other UA partners do not count...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
    Travelgurl and 8MiHi like this.
  4. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    PMCO rules were different. They were somewhat more liberal than PMUAs BIS rules. Fortunately for many the merged company made a one-time adjustment for all PMUA and PMCO flyers to harmonize the count with the PMCO rules before going to NYCUA1K's model although I would add that miles on COPA and UA Express do count. From the websites Million Miler FAQ:
    "Will Premier qualifying miles (PQM) count toward Million Miler qualification?
    No. As of January 1, 2012, only flight miles on United or Copa will count toward Million Miler qualification. However, a member’s starting balance on January 1 does include all Premier qualifying activity — including bonuses and partner activity — earned in the MileagePlus and OnePass programs through December 31, 2011."

5. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    The transition from UA to COdbaUA caused some hiccups and some "one-time" adjustments as noted by 8MiHi, but essentially NYCUA1K is correct => it's actual BIS miles flown on UA (and United Express and the old Shuttle as well as Copa). No class of service bonuses or other bonuses count, except that, as I recall, if you're elite the "minimum mile" bonus to bring short hops up to 500 miles does still count.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this; since I made Million Miler some years before the merger I haven't paid attention (and I'm not gonna make 2MM).

blackjack-21, 8MiHi and TAHKUCT like this.
  6. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    The 500 mile minimum does indeed count.

blackjack-21 likes this.
  7. Travelgurl

Travelgurl Active Member

Status Points:
    Wow, I guess I am really going to have a flat butt after all those "BIS" miles. Another 200k left. Well, good to know in any case.

Counsellor and NYCUA1K like this.
  8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    :p:D

9. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, the Million Miler status was often referred to as the "Flat Butt Club" on TOBB. Example.

Travelgurl likes this.