Mileage plus award program changes

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by snod08, Aug 3, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sweet Willie likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    edcho and snod08 like this.
  3. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    :(
    Such is life.

4. chris_poland

chris_poland Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bummer, thinks stinks.

5. edcho

edcho Silver Member

Status Points:
    While it stinks, it's not a shocker. I'm actually more surprised that they didn't announce basic economy fares.

6. ahappyelite

ahappyelite Silver Member

Status Points:
    And there they are, still hawking miles to the unsuspecting-turn your back on these people (accumulate miles) at your own peril. So fitting that they screw one and all regardless of status, burning even those who seek out their high priced, rip off fares, to earn more points on a program that let's face it should have earned the attention of prosecutors a long time ago. Of course United/federal prosecutors did throw the book at a yoga performing passenger trying to reduce the enormous stress of air travel by stretching his legs on an insanely cramped cattle car plane convicting him of a violent felony and extorting $45k out of him in restitution.
    Weren't mergers great, Obama Administratio. Everyone associated with these mergers and price fixing schemes should be wearing orange jumpsuits, The depraved and sociopathic hands of Wall Street making air travel WORSE EVERY DAY. The trajectory here is you will probably soon find this email in your inbox:
    MP members, it has been fun serving you. However, effective xxxx 2018 our program will be discontinued. You can use your remaining miles to buy movie tickets, bleacher seats for last place teams or a microwave. Fly the Friendly Skies !

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But we already know those are coming.

8. edcho

edcho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup but I would think that it should be announced officially right about now. Maybe they will just slip it in quietly.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think there will have to be some media around the start of those sales, mostly calling customer attention to the fees and such and pushing the higher fares as an option.

10. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am guessing Plats pay 50$ to make a new reservation within 14 days of travel? (when many awards open up)?
    Is that a good assumption based on the 60-day rule?

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The tweet I got from UA is that booking fees do not change. We'll see what happens in reality but that's what they've said so far.

Newscience and snod08 like this.
  12. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So to me the bottom line is.....
    The only people who will benefit most from each FFP are premium passengers flying on expensive fares usually paid by their employers. (and they are the ones that need it the least)
    Is it really worth it to attain 1K status if you have to spend $12.5K of your own money for it (as well as fly the requisite 100K EQMs?). What benefits are you really going to attain, that cannot be purchased (and for far less than $12,500). If I read Seth's chart correctly, they have even made it better for the low and non-elite in overall cost (and yes, I know that the higher level elite gets a better bite at the awards apple, but the fruit is getting wormier for all elites :().

I still believe that having some level of status is better than none, but you can get most items from possession of a named credit card. One should be directing their patronage to the airline with the best fares combined with the most practical schedule for each trip, IMO.

13. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The ghost of $mi$ek still reigns in the halls of United implementing so called enhancements which are customer unfriendly and changes we do not like. What is worse is to try and spin this as being beneficial to the customer. The loss of RTWs is a major devaluation. A RTW Star F award can be booked for 450K MP miles, a US-Europe F Star award is 220K. The loss of stopovers, except for in the destination region, is a major downgrade of the program. Seth did a very good job outlining the major changes and various increased booking fees in his blog post.

Newscience likes this.
  14. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe, but this airline has done a complete 180 under Oscar. I'm nearing my 100th segment of the year all on United and its night and day compared to the previous three years. Happier employees, empowered to make decisions, and stations working as a team to manage the hour to hour operations.

15. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even if its JUST $50 for UA Platinums (I am one) kinda bummed that this is happening. I have used the free changes and redeposit before and enjoyed the perk. I hope they don't strip any other benefits as well..