Mileage Plus Account Number

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by owenbrowntrout, May 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. owenbrowntrout

owenbrowntrout Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you remember being notified that as a result of the merger you would have to give up your old number and use a new one? Well, the merger has long since been completed and yet we can all still log in with our old United MP account numbers. Why doesn't UA just bite the bullet and let us keep our old numbers instead of making us memorize a new one??? This is especially difficult to do when we have the numbers of several family members to also memorize.

Counsellor and GoodBoy like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    :rolleyes:

They have to pick one system to work with partners. That's far more important than what you log in to their website with. If you've willfully chosen to spend the past year not learning the new one that's your fault, not the company's.

brfong, bmg42000, ssullivan and 5 others like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:

[​IMG]

:)

LETTERBOY, rggale, Counsellor and 4 others like this.
  4. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bite the bullet, move on. Life's too short to worry about these kinds of things.

LETTERBOY, goalie, IDGflygirl and 5 others like this.
  5. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, it took me less than 20 minutes to remember 6 different new MP numbers. Not that challenging.

mht_flyer, LETTERBOY, FortFun and 2 others like this.
  6. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or get a One Card from award wallet. Quite Handy for Multiple Family Members.

mht_flyer likes this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Or a post-it note. Or an index card. Or a text file on your computer/phone device of choice. The number of options available to ease the "problem" here is quite impressive.

mht_flyer, LETTERBOY, FortFun and 2 others like this.
  8. owenbrowntrout

owenbrowntrout Silver Member

Status Points:
    The old numbers continue to work. Why should we then have to use new numbers? It is frustrating to deal with such senselessness, such as this, when UA splits the reservation when an elite member with a companion seeks a complimentary upgrade, the ever changing boarding procedures, etc. flying is becoming more and more complex and less and less comfortable and user friendly. Perhaps the friendly skies could be made just a little bit less unfriendly.

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Might I suggest a tattoo?

mht_flyer and LETTERBOY like this.
  10. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bolding mine: Yup-very simple as where I can remember my number, I just keep both goalie-parents' and goalie-sis' numbers in the Notes app on my iPhone until the day that I can remember them

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The old numbers work in one very limited part of the ecosystem, not across the board.
    Indeed, what a shame that they have given you extra time to make the transition easier for you.

You could always just pretend that the old number doesn't work and that you have to use the new one, even to log in. Then it would be the same number that you give at check-in, to partners and basically everywhere else. Plus, you wouldn't have to fret about the fact that you still know the old one.

mht_flyer, LETTERBOY, avflyer and 2 others like this.
  12. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wake up in the morning and run down the list of things I need to worry about that day.....oddly enough this isn't on that list.

13. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Drop it dude. The guys are right. It's not that big a deal and it isn't "senseless". They need a number that will work in all of their partner / alliance systems (Seth's big word "ecosystem"). So we all get to do the same thing. What is senseless is your whining about something so small. Makes me want to listen to all the 25K fliers who think they were screwed.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  14. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gosh there sure are a lot of wise cracks coming from this ostensibly friendly crowd today! Although I agree that it is not a big deal and certainly not worthy of a thread (yet here I post), I'm a little surprised at the fun being had at the OP's expense.

Here is how I manage all of my account numbers, passwords, forms credit cards, etc. that are frequently (or not so) used online: www.lastpass.com

Lastpass is free, and it archives all of your info, however you wish to organize it, even giving you the ability to have it generate and memorize passwords that are actually secure. It is VERY handy for a guy like me who spends about 23 hours and 59 minutes per day online.

Now if I were to complain about something, it would be that my passport number has to change when I renew it. Ten years of using the same number, then it all starts over again. It gets a little harder for me to memorize every tenth year. ;)

brfong and mht_flyer like this.
  15. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    First. World. Problems.

Flyer1976 and mht_flyer like this.
  16. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hard to have second world problems with the fall of the Soviet Bloc.:p

desamo, jackal, genemk2 and 3 others like this.
  17. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey... I live in Costa Rica, so I have both first and third world problems. The transformer outside my office window exploded about an hour ago, and now we're on UPS backups connected to a very LOUD generator. But as long as we have internet, it's business as usual. Just a little on the warm side. :)

As long as I have my computer and my Lastpass, I can pretend it's normal outside of this building.

desamo likes this.
  18. stephenbgarvan

stephenbgarvan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Because it's not United?

19. CGK
    Original Member

CGK Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't even realize that the old MP numbers still worked in any capacity until I read this thread.

20. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seen a lot of second world problems this week.

Flyer1976 likes this.