Mileage on Codeshares Post-Merger

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Sunshine7, Aug 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Sunshine7

Sunshine7 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi All,

I have a roundtrip planned for a December departure on a UA-SAS Codeshare (UA for domestic legs, SAS for European legs, return in January). I booked the flights through Chase's Ultimate Rewards travel service, so before purchasing I called to find out the fare class of the SAS legs because I wanted to make sure that I received 100% credit for the miles. (Learning from prior experience that not all Codeshares give 100% mileage credit.)

I found out that the SAS legs are K fare class, checked the chart on .bomb and confirmed that K fare class receives 100% mileage. Then I proceeded with the purchase.

The flights are showing up in my UA account and the SAS legs are indeed fare class K. However, the reservation is telling me that these legs only receive 25% mileage credit. These are ORD-ARN-ORD flights, so are 4000+ miles each way. We're talking the difference between 2,000 and 8,000 miles for the entire trip, which is a lot for me and can mean the difference between elite status and no status.

I called UA and after several reps and two or three different stories, asked for a supervisor. With some research she determined that the credit for these flights PRE-MERGER would have been just 25%. She concluded that the system hasn't been fully upgraded and is still reflecting this partial crediting, but assured me that their current charts are correct and that I should receive 100%. She said that if SAS does not give me full mileage credit, then UA will file an appeal on my behalf, but said that there is nothing that UA can do now since the miles "come from SAS." I asked her to make a note in my account in case there were problems later. I also took screen shots of the current mileage chart for my CYA file.

An SAS rep confirmed that that K fares receive 100% mileage credit, which did help to ease my mind.

Questions:
    1) Should I be doing anything else at this point to ensure that I'm covered?
    2) Has anyone else experienced something similar and, if so, how did it turn out?

The outbound flight is in late December, so I won't have time in 2012 to make up any mileage differences.

All feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    1) What the SAS folks say, other than the fare class, doesn't matter at all.

2) The earning rates which matter are those listed here: http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mar...s/Pages/AirlinePartnerDetails.aspx?ItemId=317.

The earning rates on the "View my reservation" page for partners are notoriously unreliable. An unfortunate situation, but it is the reality and has been for a few years now on this platform.

8MiHi and Sunshine7 like this.
  3. Sunshine7

Sunshine7 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting that the SAS representations gave me the most comfort, but are the least reliable, LOL! :D

I will be sure to hold on to the screen shots of the awards charts and will pay close attention to the mileage credited. I never knew that the earning rates under "View My Reservation" are unreliable, so that is also helpful to know, both for now and in the future.

Thanks for the help! I learned a lot and have some peace of mind now.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Screen shots don't really matter too much. :eek:

The rates in effect at the time of travel are the ones which matter, not those at the time of purchase. :oops:

5. Sunshine7

Sunshine7 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just spewed a string of the most unbecoming and unladylike expletives when I read that! :-/ I guess there's nothing more to do except hope for the best. Maybe it'll help if I cross my finger, toes, and eyeballs ...

8MiHi and Wandering Aramean like this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Happy to help. :D

LETTERBOY and Sunshine7 like this.
  7. Sunshine7

Sunshine7 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just to follow up: I took the same set of flights yesterday (landed in Stockholm less than 24 hours ago) and not only have my SAS miles posted correctly, but the actually posted before my UA miles! :D So I received 100% mileage credit even though the "View My Reservation" info says that I would receive only 25%.

I did notice that some SAS flights from April 2012 posted at 25% and I've requested updated credit, but it's nice to see that things seem to be working better now.

*Knocking on wood.*