Mileage Multiplier Worth it?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by benthelefty, Dec 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. benthelefty

benthelefty Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone seen or done much with the AA promo on the mileage multiplier? (http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/yourChoice_mileageMultiplier.jsp). They are giving you a bonus of miles at 3 cents per + tax, which seems like a not so good deal to me, but am still curious. (edit this was backwards...redeeming for that price is good but not buying)

I'm flying DFW to GIG in January which is about 5k miles distance wise, so a triple/quad would be 15k/20k for a good purchase price!

Also, does anyone know if these miles count towards the new MM because they're purchased in conjunction with the ticket and actual butt in seat miles?

2. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    They don't count towards MM anymore, sorry, I just used them to boost my MM balance till today, the cut-off date. I don't think they sell in a good price, quite the opposite in my opinion!

3. benthelefty

benthelefty Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're right I read that backwards...redemption at 3 cents a mile is good but buying for that is opposite. I was just coming back to edit my post! Thanks for that!

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Not a good investment, even when they did count for MM status IMHO.

5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    unless one was short of a specific award amount, then it is a brainless, quick way to get the miles.

That said, I've never used it.

Eloy Fonseca Neto, Titans26 and Skye1 like this.
  6. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    I gave it serious thought, but finally decided against it.

Be interesting to see if "the bankruptcy" dissuades customers from Mileage Multiplier.

7. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. Have gotten that "offer" for these, that pops up when booking reservations, and have done the math, and for me, I've rarely seen the math logic in using it. But, to each his own, I'd agree with Sweet Willie that if one was seriously in need of a specific award soon (or to top off a MM balance before, uh, yesterday), perhaps that's its value. Not a bad idea at all, and I'm sure AAdvantage can only offer it if it's got a positive return for AA of some kind. YMMV.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  8. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    Worthless. You can buy another flight for the prices they charge for that. I can get miles fot 1.2/per on Craigslist.

Eloy Fonseca Neto likes this.
  9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Is it really a good idea to publically advertise on a forum that AA and its representatives are heavily involved with that you may or may not be shopping for miles on Craigslist? ;)

They have no idea who you are, but still..... :cool:

Eloy Fonseca Neto and Skye1 like this.
  10. jsm

jsm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Especially not worth it after getting the changes in the MM program.

11. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm quite sure that AA and every other airline is aware that miles, upgrades, vouchers etc are being sold on Craigslist. If for some strange reason they're not aware of this then I hope they do see my post and realize how much $$ they're losing because they're charging too much.

12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Of course they're aware, which is why AA and many other airlines have staff who actively investigate these situations on eBay, Craigslist, Flyertalk, Milepoint, etc..., in what they consider revenue management and clear violations of the T&Cs of AAdvantage. Individuals who make misstep and get caught selling or buying miles/upgrades or otherwise engaged in activity that is banned often find themselves losing all miles and upgrades (whether achieved legitimately or not) etc, earned status, etc. We've all seen the posts from people saying "I got caught and lost everything, what do I do?!"

It was my way of saying caveat emptor to you and anyone else reading who thought throwing around the idea that you might be engaged in such activity openly in a public form with AA officials reading was a good idea, regardless of how easy it might be to identify you. What people do at home is their business, what people do and post online becomes everyone's business. Business you might want to keep hidden from AA.

13. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    I understand you point. I'm not worried about anyone investigating me over a post because I've got nothing to hide. I don't need to sell miles and buying them does me no good because free tickets don't count towards my status :) and buying upgrades is a waste of money for the segments I fly. I was simply trying to make the point that the multiplier is too expensive. AA knows that all of my miles are redeemed for rooms at the Aria and Vdara hotel in Vegas, lol. Like I said though, I do understand your point and I'll TRY not put any ideas in anyone's head around here.

14. Titans26

Titans26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

15. VagabondJim

VagabondJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    A perfectly reasonable investment if used properly. When redeemed for F on a quality international carrier, you can redeem at 7-8¢ rather easily. I've reached as high as 14.7¢

CX and QF first are quite nice...

Now, if you're not going to seek out that particular type of travel you should certainly pass on the offer.

16. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't see how the type of award you like to redeem your miles for would change the fact that the miles from the multipler are generally overpriced and can be obtained for less elsewhere?

Redeeming for a QF F seat is nice and a great value, but if you paid 9¢ per mile using the multipler and I paid 5¢ a mile just buying the miles directly or through mileage running, I got a better value (and in the case of mileage running, got EQM toward status from the trip, too).

Perhaps in the odd situation where you have exhausted all outlets for mileage earning? Overall though, I think you're better off using other methods and using this as a "last resort".

17. VagabondJim

Status Points:
    True, except:

1) Mileage Multiplier runs a shade over 3¢ per mile. Not the 9¢ you cite.
    2) I never said it was the best or most efficient vehicle. Nor did I say (or intend to imply) that choosing this option in lieu of other ways of gaining miles was preferred.

A quick look at Fare Compare (http://www.farecompare.com/search/flyertalk.html) shows that most AA flights are pricing out at >5¢ CPM. If one is PLT/EXP that's, at best, 2.5¢ per RDM. I know, I know, smart shopping can do better than that sometimes. But I still think it's illustrative that the 3¢ is not an outrageously bad deal.

The real problem comes when you try to value all the components you get for that 5¢ you pay to fly. As EXP we get 2 RDM + 1 EQM. How much is that EQM worth? That's up to each of us to evaluate. I'm lazy, I figure it's worth exactly the same as an RDM so that means my CPM for all earned miles on a flight is in the 1.7¢ range. Sure, 3¢ is worse than that. But there is some value in not having to take additional flights or time to get the incremental RDMs that Mileage Multiplier offers.

I'm happy with my decision; you're happy with your decision; I have no reason to concern myself with your decision....it's all good.

18. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Will you finish Law School and go work for AA soon please????

19. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    1) I never "cited" 9¢ per mile as the price point, I created an example. ;)

2) I think that's a fairly obvious point since it's only one of many ways to earn miles, but the topic of this thread is whether the option is "worth" it and an evaluation of how good a deal it is will always figure into that discussion. Seems you essentially agree with my assertion that there are cheaper and easier ways to earn miles, so it should be used in limited situations.

When the Mileage Multipler first debuted it was evaluated by a few popular travel bloggers, here's a few points of analysis for those who are interested in the topic:

LINK.
    LINK.

20. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sorry Eloy, I'm not in law school, I just took my LSATs. I'm happy as a federal employee. :)

mowogo likes this.
  21. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    OWAAA... My dream of seeing you as an AA Attorney will never come true... or not??? ;)

22. VagabondJim

Status Points:
    From your second link

So is it a good deal? It depends on your needs. If you pay $5,000 for business class tickets to Asia, then it might make sense for you to use the Mileage Multiplier on all of your flights, because you’d be buying 100,000 mile blocks for roughly $3,200. However, I doubt this make sense for the average flyer and certainly doesn’t make sense for me.

I gladly stand by my assertion that buying for 3¢ and redeeming for 5¢ or greater is "worth it." There are other things that may be more worthwhile, but this offer works. If, as I noted, you redeem for high value, international F tix you can do quite well and do so faster. If you want to take the kids to Disneyville, well, they suck. (Your choice of antecedent for the pronoun "they" -- kids, Disneyville, and Mileage Multiplier (in this case) all apply.)

That's the only reason I buy them or ever have. Tickets for LAX-SYD-HKG-LAX (QF outbound, CX homeward) and LAX-HKG-DPS-HKG-LAX (all on CX) all in the frontmost cabin have made me very happy.

23. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    "happy....federal employee"- oxymoron. There aren't any supervisors monitoring on here? I can stand to lose my miles, but not my job, lol

24. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm very happy with my job and the work I do, so you may need to re-evaluate that claim. ;)

And why would my supervisor care what I do on my break time/lunch/evenings on my personal phone/computer?

25. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I remember asking Jeff Foland if anyone actually goes for these offers, to me they are out of control worthless.

He replied: You'd be surprised. ;)

DestinationDavid likes this.