"Mileage Multiplier" (buying extra miles at check-in)

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by kansaskeith, Feb 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    This program has been in effect for some time now, but has often been poo-poo'ed because of its high costs (about three cents per mile purchased).

HOWEVER. . .

It appears to me they've quietly cut the rates to about two cents a mile. Has anybody seen anything about this?

I used it on a trip last week to actually end up with quintuple miles (base, plus 100% PLT/EXP bonus, plus triple miles multiplier - actually a little more than quintuple because the base miles were increased with the 500-mile-minimum elite rule).

I was aware the multipler rates were controversial but went ahead with it. Well, in reviewing my credit card charges on this vs. when I did it on a December trip, it appears quite clear they have cut the rates. (Won't have the exact numbers til Monday when AAdvantage account statements that are being updated this weekend come back on ine to give me the precise number of miles I bought, but I have done the math a couple ways now, and I'm pretty sure the rates - at least for now - have come down.)

This comes on the heels of more generous bonuses of late in the "Buy AA Miles" purchased miles program, and the raising of the annual cap in that program by 50%. Competition at work? Just curious if anyone had seen anything in writing about this change.

2. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe they're already trying to align their system with US Airways. ;)

kansaskeith likes this.
  3. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not quite! Didn't US make a splash with a 100% miles-purchased bonus? AA hasn't done THAT, yet, lol!

4. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK, I did the math when aa.com came up with the detailed mileage statements that were being updated when I tried to check over the weekend. Sure enough, when I used "mileage multiplier" on a January trip, the miles I bought cost just a smidgen over 2 cents a mile. When I did the same thing on a (longer) trip in December, it was a smidgen over 3. Looks like they have indeed, at least for now, cut the rates.

5. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK, just checked in at a kiosk, and the "Mileage Multiplier" rate, which was about 3 cents a mile in December and a smidgen over two cents in January, now in February s just shy of FIVE cents. Looks to me like the airline is experimenting with pricing points. Good luck with that, AA!

6. TRYING2BPLAT

TRYING2BPLAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thats why I stop purchasing it when I do kiosk ckhin.