Mileage bonus question

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by TravelBear, Jul 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is the difference between Premium Economy Mileage & MQM bonus and Medallion Mileage Bonus? <Left to right columns are silver, gold, platinum, diamond>. I am thinking additive RDMs but that can't be right....can it?

Program Benefits
    First/Business Class Mileage & MQM Bonus
    50%
    50%
    50%
    50%
    Premium Economy (Y,B,M Fares) Mileage & MQM Bonus
    50%
    50%
    50%
    50%
    Rollover Medallion Qualification Miles
    Unlimited Rollover
    Unlimited Rollover
    Unlimited Rollover
    Unlimited Rollover
    Medallion Mileage Bonus
    25%
    100%
    100%
    125%

<Okay that didn't post like it looked on my screen>

jrp2 likes this.
  2. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The MQM bonuses are the EQM bonus for the more expensive ticket. The Medallion Mileage Bonus is the RDM (Skymiles) bonus on top of the base RDMs you get for the trip.

e.g. for completing a ATL-DCA o/w trip in economy (T fare) is 547 base Skymiles (RDMs) and 547 MQMs (EQMs). If I was at Gold Medallion tier I would earn an additional 547 Skymiles on top of the 547 base Skymiles for the Medallion Mileage Bonus.

for completing the same flight above but on a premium economy fare (M fare) it would be.
    same 547 base Skymiles
    same addl 547 Skymiles for the Gold Medallion Mileage Bonus
    same 547 base MQMs + a bonus of 273 MQMs and 273 RDMs as well because of the prem economy fare

Often in their explanations, Delta's use of the word "miles" and "mileage" often causes a lot of confusion as to what you get.

HTH

aptraveler likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    In DL speak, the words SkyMiles (when not referring to the FF program itself) and bonus miles mean redeemable miles, while MQMs are status miles.

In the above explanation, it should be added that the COS (class of service) bonus for expensive fares and tickets in premium cabins give both status and redeemable miles, an additional 50% for M+ fares.

4. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    You omitted the bonus of 273 SkyMiles (RDMs) for the M fare. A GM flying a 547-mile flight will earn 1367 SkyMiles and 820 MQMs.

5. Stils

Stils Silver Member

Status Points:
    The next question should be whether it's worth it to buy a Y,B,M fare if you are paying out of pocket to get the extra MQMs if you are a silver or a gold. I doubt it but I guess it would depend on what you value status etc.

6. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the correction. I updated my post.

7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Almost never, except last minute or if you actually need e.g. a flexible fare. This doesn't really change with medallion class.

8. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I now check fare classes where I used to always go for the cheapest. Generally what I have noticed is that bumping to M,B,Y the cost goes up fairly significantly, I think especially since I always have a connection out of AVL. Otherwise I would consider bumping up the fare class. Even with all the scheduled incoming MQMs in the next few months I will still be ~2k mqms short of silver so I may have to add another trip to see mom in FL :).

9. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hate to participate in it, but there is the P fare, which gets additional MQM at not as high of cost as YBM. Then again, you will be participating in FCM.

How many segments are you projecting you will be at?

10. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have not seen this "P" class.....and what does FCM mean? I will be nowhere close to segments to hit silver. I have 4 segments banked. With upcoming travel I would have 9 additional for 13 total.

11. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay i just found the P class. I generally don't try above Y,B,M lol. What is special about this class?

12. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    A P fare is an economy ticket with an instant upgrade at the time of purchase to First/Business. It's looks like a discounted Bis/FC ticket when you are buying it and it even earns a MQM bonus like a Prem. Econ or FC ticket.

13. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    FCM stands for First Class Monetization

14. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    the P fare class also has possible downsides. If you are on a P and you miss your flight or IROP happens, you did not really buy a FC seat and you might find yourself sitting in coach. If that does happen, they typically refund the fare difference. It pays to save a screenshot of the economy fare that is available at the same time you book the P.

Sometimes the fare difference is as little as $50 each way. I've had to book a last minute transcon flight that only had Y, P, & F available. The P fare was $25 more than the Y and $1,000 less than F and the only seat available was middle seat last row on a 75 or F.