Mile award accelerator mystery formula

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Photonerd71, Aug 13, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know what the formula UA uses to determine how many miles the offer us on the buy up option on a ticket? Last month I got offered 7k miles on a IAH-BOS rt flight (I grabbed then when thr price dropped to 2.1cpm) and it was more than the double they used to offer. I have a IAH-EWR for next month and they were offering 5k miles, less than double. (Up until last night was holding at 2.1 but dropped to 1.9 so, yes I grabbed then) and I booked a IAH-ATL run ad they offered 3k miles...again more than double and at 1.9 right from the get go.

It looks like sometimes they round up and others they round down. I sort of liked the old way better where it was, just take the flight miles and multiply by 2 or 4.

And the eqm's were running at 9.9 out the door. I grabbed then on the ATL flight to put me at 24k eqm's before the trip. After the flight I will be silver again I figured I might as well take advantage of my Pres plus cc PQD waver and get silver as my PQD's were only going to be at $2k max this year. The extra bonus miles on the EWR trip will be nice and I'll at least be on the upgrade list ;) (plus the bonus miles while going to HNL and BCN next year will be nice :)

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

2. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    On Sunday when I bought a ICT - HNL - ICT trip for Christmas, the offer was for up to 24,000 Accelerator miles, roughly three times what the geographic mileage is for that round trip. It wanted 2.1 cents per mile, which was tempting- but I didn't act. Checked again tonight (Thursday) and it had dropped to 1.9, so I bought! Checked my MileagePlus account FOUR MINUTES LATER and they had already posted!

Even more interesting was the price of the PQMs on top of that, which between Sunday and tonight had dropped from 10 cents to 7 cents each! Didn't buy the PQMs because I am already over 75,000 and am Premier Platinum via a cc waiver -- getting to 100 k wouldn't do much good because I won't have the PQDs to be a 1K.

But the price of 7 cents for PQMs sure seemed attractive, UA must be on a drive for some quick cash! :)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  3. Dmarcus

Dmarcus New Member

Status Points:
    Forgive me if I ask a silly question however I'm new. I received the offer to buy Premier accelerator for $350 for 5000 miles and $95 for 5000 miles. If I'm following your math it seems like a food deal since I returned from my flight yesterday. However all I'm looking for is to get to the silver award status, if it's even worth it, and will not have the actual flown miles for the year. The actual miles I have to date is only about 6000 miles. I have the waiver on the dollars spent and qualifying segments since I have the united credit card. Are the premier accelerator miles what gets me to the award status? If I'm reading this right those miles will NOT give me miles to use in the future. Help...it gets so confusing.

4. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always thought I had to act before the flight, so don't quite follow you on having returned from yours already, But, if that is the offer, and if the $95 is for accelerator miles and (as you say) the $350 for "Premier" accelerator, the prices don't seem out of line. You have to spend the $95 to be able to spend the $350, of course. The miles you get for the $95 will be able to be used in the future - what many of us call RDMs or redeemable miles. The spending of the $350 only goes toward Premier qualification and does not add any more miles to use later beyond what the $95 bought you.

As for getting the "Silver" status for the balance of this year and on through 2015, you will need a total of 25,000 Premier Qualifying Miles (PQMs), or 30 segments, and it is toward these PQMs that the $350 would help boost your total.

Unless you have an overseas or diplomatic or military APO address, you ALSO would need - whether you go for the miles or the segments - to have spent $2,500 with United this year, not including taxes and some fees. I know you say you are exempt from the $2,500 spend with United because you have the UA credit card, but keep in mind that with most United Chase credit cards you have to spend $25,000 this year with that card for the exemption to apply. Finally, if you have the old "Presidential Plus" credit card no longer available to new customers, the exemption in the previous sentence would not require the $25,000 spend.

8MiHi likes this.
  5. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    United is jacking with the "Premier Accelerator" rates again. Big time, and wrong direction (for us). Just was offered "Mileage Accelerator" (RDMs) of 11,000 for $209 for a trip this weekend. That's 1.9 cents each, and not obscene. But -- even though I had no intention to purchase "Premier Accelerator" for this trip -- I checked what it would be to add PQMs on top of that: $2,200, or TWENTY CENTS per PQM. I have long been told UA raises those rates as the end of the year comes into view, but this is frickin' nasty. Glad I don't need any extra PQMs right now!

6. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    They have always raised the rates on the EQM's at the end of the year, nothing new on this. With the PQD requirement not much sense in buying any (many) of them anyway. (Now if the price counted towards PQD's that would be a different story) At least the RDM's are staying around 2cpm.

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, they've always raised them at the end of the year but this is an earlier and more significant rise than in years past IIRC.

8. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think there's other magic and mystery at play, because mine continues to float at $0.10. Maybe because I already qualified for the highest status? More PQDs would just get me more GPUs/RPUs.

9. ozstamps
    Original Member

ozstamps Silver Member

Status Points:
    The ratios jump all over the place. Whenever they offer then at around 2c each I grab them. Add an Elite # in there and it seems to offer 2 or 3 times what it started offering!