Mile Accumulation with Corporate Card

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by tipitai, Mar 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tipitai

tipitai Active Member

Status Points:
    I realize this is a very naive question, so thanks in advance for your help and patience.

I acquire most of my miles these days through work related travel as I assume many (if not most) of you do as well. I book all of my own travel with my company AMEX and therefore do not reap any of the benefits of using an airline specific rewards card to gain extra points. Do any of you know a way around this? Is there a way to purchase some kind of status or add-on program through American Express to gain extra points for these kinds of purchases? If not, I'll have to check to see if my firm would reimburse travel reservations made on my personal card. Thanks for your help.

2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome. :)

Some AMEX Corporate cards allow a Membership Rewards account to be associated for earning, but some do not (mine doesn't). It depends on your company's agreement with AMEX. Outside of being able to use your personal card for work-related travel expenses, and an AMEX agreement that allows you to collect MR points, you're pretty much hosed for credit card earning. The airline miles and hotel points for those respective programs should continue to be yours, though.

3. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Most large corporations have special arrangements with credit card companies to get certain "benefits" for utilizing their corporate credit card. I know I used to work for a large aerospace company that got very upset it you did not use the corporate card for all possible expenditures.