Milan -> Venice -> ? -> Cannes/Nice/Monaco -> Milan

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by EYK, Feb 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. EYK
    Original Member

EYK Active Member

Status Points:
    I am flying into MXP on Friday morn renting a car and driving strait to Venice parking at Piazzale Roma. staying in Venice till Sunday morn at the westin europa, monday night sleeping in cannes (@ the carlton) (need suggestions what to do in between venice & cannes) spending monday in Cannes, Nice, Monaco. then going to Milan monday night staying in Park Hyatt flight tue morn. Am I completely nuts? and what should I do between the drive from venice to Cannes?

Note: I am going first week march.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I think you are completely nuts. I think that you are going to spend more time driving than actually seeing good stuff. And this is coming from a guy who flew in Y from JFK to MRU for 24 hours last week. :eek:

That said, Google Maps says it is about a 5.5-6 hour drive from VCE to NCE. Changing it to go via Torino only adds an hour and change and could be a nice stopping point for that night. The only other major town along the way is Genoa.

I'm not sure that there will be much going on in Nice/Monaco/Cannes in the first week of March. You might be better off heading up into the mountains or the lake country (Como/Garda/et al) between Milan and Venice.

Also, depending on how early your flight is, you might be better off staying out by the airport on that Monday night rather than in town. It is a schlep between the two and if you are driving I have no idea what the rush hour traffic will be like.

3. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shop

4. EYK
    Original Member

EYK Active Member

Status Points:
    thanks so I've been considering either portifino or torino, portifino looks slightly more interesting

as far as heading into the lake district, I'm not sure I'll be able to sleep knowing I was within a few hours of Monaco and didn't go. [​IMG]

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wasn't all that impressed with Monaco when I was there. Maybe it is because the border patrol pulled us over and interrogated us (though at one point we were darn close to arranging drinks with them later that night) or because there really isn't a whole lot to the place, but it didn't do much for me.