Milan Marriott Review

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by bhatnasx, Feb 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. bhatnasx
    Original Member

bhatnasx Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, I was able to jump on a great fare to Milano & whereas the past 2 times I've been there, I've stayed at the Westin Palace, the Westin Palace got bumped up & the cash and points went up to 9,800 points per night + $90US - double what it was last time I was there, so I stayed at the Milan Marriott this time round. TripAdvisor didn't have a whole lot on it & FT had some reviews that weren't all that great - but I had a very good experience.

Accessibility -
    Cheapest way to get to the hotel from MXP is to take the Malpensa Express train to the Cadorna station. A ticket costs 11 euros OW (Return tickets are available, but the return must be used that same day - so make sure you only buy a OW ticket). You can buy it at a ticket machine or at the ticket booth at the airport - credit cards ok. Once you get to the Cadorna station, go to the metro/subway area (outside the station, down the stairs) & buy a ticket for the "red line" towards Bisceglie (1 euro) - take it 3 stops to Wagner. Once you get off Wagner, head towards the big traffic circle (towards McDonald's for lack of a better landmark) - on the opposite side of the circle is Via Washington. Walk down Via Washington for about 4-5 blocks & the hotel is on your right - about a 5-7 minute walk from the Wagner station.

Rooms -
    I had booked a standard room for 1 person - the bed was double bed (I think it may have been considered a queen, but I think it was double/full size bed). Bathroom with a good bathrub & dual-head shower (rain shower head & a telephone shower head) - good towels & a bidet. Decent closet space with an in-room safe. My laptop died & I forgot the cord, so I didn't use internet, so no comment there. There was a sleep sofa & a table/chair set. Minibar with standard stuff, soda's, alcohol, snacks, etc.

Flat Panel TV's had about 30 channels or so with PPV movies - 3-4 english language channels (Fox News, CNN, BBC, and one other), several sports channels (soccer & rugby all day-everyday!), MTV, a few arabic language channels, a french channel, and a german channel (2nd night of my stay was pouring rain, so I ended up staying in).

Restaurant -
    Had breakfast every day in the restaurant (no status, so no lounge access for me) - better than standard assortment of fairly high quality breakfast breads/pastries/cakes, etc, eggs, sausage, bacon, assortment of italian cheeses & meats, great cut fruit assortment, panckages, waffles, hashbrowns, juices, etc - overall, definitely a good breakast.

Had quick dinner on the second night there because it was pouring rain - had the Marriott burger (yeah, I know, I'm in Italy, should have been more adventurous, but I like burgers) - it was pretty good with Mozzarella cheese instead of American or Cheddar cheese. Cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, and salad greens & fries on the side. Decent food at a decent price.

I did have other meals nearby - there were a few restaurants within walking distance on either side of the hotel & there was a large supermarket across the street (which was great, because my sister wanted me to pick her up some special honey you can only get in Italy apparently).

Service -
    Other reviews complained about crappy customer service (which they say is to be expected in italy) - I disagree. The front desk agent, Stefano, who checked me in (and out actually) & concierge were very helpful & great. The breakfast staff (and it was a buffet) were friendly. The waiter at dinner may have thought I should have ordered something other than the burger, but didn't have any attitude. Overall, everything was fine - housekeepers even greeted me in the hallways - so I think it was a good experience & had no complaints.

Location -
    It's not the most touristy of locations - however, with the Wagner line a few minutes away, it's actually quite accessible to the Duomo & other sites (all on the red line). There's also a few shopping/dining streets a few blocks away (near the Wagner area) so it was cool to see the Italian culture in a neighborhood hotel away from the touristy (overpriced) restaurants & stores.

Verdict -
    Given the value, I would definitely stay here again. The Westin, whereas it has a great location, didn't make up for it in their new pricing & bump up in award costs.

MyTravels and jbcarioca like this.
  2. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Quick Review: Marriott Milan

Checkin: Very polite and professional, let us know of the taxi to/from MXP and asked if we wanted the room charged in Euro or USD. (Typically it is best to charge the room in local currency and let the credit card use a market exchange rate).

Status/Upgrade: Recognized status and upgraded to larger room. I think all the suites are on the top floor, where the Concierge Lounge is located. Standard Platinum amenity choices.

Location: South of the heart of Milan on Giorgio Washington which is a major street with supermarket across the street and restaurants nearby. The subway or street car is 7-10 minutes away walking, although you can easily walk to the city center as well (and you may come across the City Wall/Gate, Basilica's, Castles, The Last Supper, Shopping, etc).

From MXP the taxi fix a fixed price of 90€, any taxi using the meter can be reported. The hotel offers their own taxi for the same 90€. Alternatively you can take the Malpensa Express train to the Milano Cadorna Station for 11€ one-way and take a taxi from there or the subway (1.5€).

Hotel/Building: Built in 1994 the building/rooms do show some age but nothing to alarming. At checkin I was asked if the room should be charged in euro or USD. If they don't ask you should proactively verify as others have reported being charged in USD + a currency conversion fee. I recommend local currency (Euro) and let your credit card handle any foreign exchange.

Amenities: Concierge desk (separate from the front desk) and Coffee in lobby

Room: The room was spacious, it actually had an additional bed (in addition to the king), desk, and plenty of space. Bathroom had a 110v outlet.

Body Care: I don't recall the brand(s) - Bath Soap Bar, Hand Soap Bar, BodyWash, Shampoo, Conditioner, Body Lotion, Bath Salts, MouthWash, Q-tips, Facial Pads, Kleenex, Bath Robes, Slippers, Shoe Sponge, Shoe Horn, Sowing Kit, Comb, Tooth Brush & Paste, Disposable Razor, Water

Hotel Staff: The staff could work at the Bulgari or Park Hyatt hotels in town.

Breakfast/Dining/Lounge/Club: Weekday breakfast is in the lounge while weekend breakfast is in the dining room (hostess has a list of room numbers). The dinning room breakfast includes the full buffet - Fresh fruit, made-to-order omelets, fresh yogurt, pastries, cereal/muesli/milk, cold breakfast cheeses and meat, hot bacon and sausage.

The Concierge Lounge is open 24/7 with juice, water, fruit and nuts. The weekday evening h'orderves are until 19:30 (7:30pm) and then followed with desert.

Summary: Would definitely come back. The location was the only thing that made me hesitate and we're glad we stayed as the walk was rather enjoyable and even if it wasn't the hotel and staff were wonderful.