Mid-integration analysis

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by PhlyingRPh, Jul 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would like to discuss a number of experiential issues with the new United. I understand that each issue is individually minor and perhaps inconsequential to most readers. However, the aggregated annoyance of having to experience even one or two of these issues on each trip is weighty and results in things looking fairly dire from the vantage point of this 1K. My issues include:

1) Surprisingly low UDU percentage / SWU's not clearing
    2) Exit row and/or aisle/window E+ seating often unavailable one week out
    3) Purchasing higher priced tickets does not appear to have much impact on issues such as being accommodated on a standby basis, last minute changes to itinerary, etc.
    4) Check-in lines chaotic
    5) Seemingly fewer domestic US elite lines at security checkpoints for CO/UA
    6) Utter bedlam at the gate - queuing and boarding process is a total balls-up.
    7) No way to prioritize gate checked bags on UAX/COX
    8) FA's and pilots complaining about the future in front of pax
    9) 1K Voice response to major issues watered down to "We're sorry you are not satisfied".
    10) 1K line often staffed with unnecessarily argumentative agents
    11) Refunds involving CO/UX tickets with CO/UX operated flights only processed after multiple phonecalls
    12) Quality of food has deteriorated on both domestic and international flights

I will say that some of the above issues are secondary to the fact that 70% of my travel is fairly last minute in nature and also because 30-40% of my travel includes UAX/COX flights lately. It is possible that my experiences may represent a limited sized demographic. Either way, I'd like to hear how others feel about things as CO/UA try to pull everything together.

Scottrick likes this.
  2. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm just worrying right now about the potential disappearance of Channel 9!

Freddie Listo likes this.
  3. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    if 70% of your travel is last minute, most of the EUAs will have already been handed out.

4. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Exactly. And a lot of business travelers (like myself) buy last minute tickets all the time and also change flights a lot. UDU stinks, the old system was a lot better. Example. Last week I flew AA DFW-ATL and changed my flight from the 1230PM flight to the 330PM. As a lowly gold (soon to be Platinum) I got the upgrade. Why? Because most people are too cheap to buy enough stickers to upgrade every flight and EXP are the only who get UDU. Not a chance in hell that would have happened as a Premier.

Scottrick likes this.
  5. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know what an UDU is.

6. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    As someone who's been 1P, I agree with almost the entire list. (1) and (2) don't apply to me too much as I usually book in advance and travel weekends or odd hours, but it does seem lower or at least last-minute, which ticks me off. (9) and (10) don't apply at all (yet) but I am consistently dissatisfied with CO's phone staff, especially the wait times, and half of my travel is with them. But I can check off at least half of the remaining list on most flights.

Now that I'm qualifying for 1K this year for the first time (and nearly all on leisure travel) I hope I've made the right call. But I guess I can count on the fact that I wasn't able to experience the better days and look back with regret.

7. cordray2643
    Original Member

cordray2643 Silver Member

Status Points:
    1. I am running about 80% so I do not see an issue her.
    2. I book 2 weeks out and almost always get my exit row (even on UX)
    3. I believe the fare would only prioritize you in the 1Ks and most of us are like you anyway so it will always be a coin flip.
    4. I always go to the 1K line and rarely is it chaotic. Only in the smaller airports where the kiosks are shared with the economy lane. In those cases just be aggressive and walk up to the counter when it is free.
    5. AGREED. And separate the 1K from the 1P and 2P line. Especially at O'Hare!!!
    6. This is on almost every airline. Everyone wants the bin space.
    7. Not sure why it would matter. They bring the cart up with all the bags at once anyway on most flights.
    8. Hasn't happened in front of me.
    9. My responses have been pretty good the last few times, I haven't seen any changes.
    10. Phone or Ticket Counter? I have found that Gate Agents seems to be far more argumentative than Phone or Ticket Counter.
    11. No experience with this.
    12. I am mostly domestic, and I like the new food better. But probably this is just preference.

8. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps I'm oblivious to these problems or they are not occurring in front of me. The only change I've noticed is the switch to boarding without zones and then the switch back to boarding with zones. Other than that, I don't check bags, I check in online and use a mobile boarding pass. I almost never get upgraded as a 1P (except once to 1st on a p.s. from SFO to LAX) but always sit in an aisle or window seat in E+ when I book on average, 7-10 days out.

9. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    1) My UDU % as a 1K is about 80% when I take the flight was I booked on. My CR1/SWU use is 100% this year.
    2) I find this too. I recently booked 36F on a A320 because it was the only non-middle seat left 6 days out. I thankfully got the upgrade.
    3) I haven't noticed
    4) As I can find the 1K line, it's usually not that bad.
    5) No more or less than any other airline.
    6) +1. Utter chaos. Worse than any other airline I've seen, including Southwest.
    7) True, but the difference between the first bag and last bag is 2-3 minutes. Does it matter?
    8) I haven't seen this
    9) +1
    10) I haven't seen this
    11) N/A
    12) Not since the merger, but it started years ago...

10. Skyraider

Skyraider Active Member

Status Points:
    1) I have about 50% on UA/CO domestic this far
    2) Yes, definitely
    3) No idea
    4) Haven't noticed
    5) Yes. Last two times at EWR it have been a longer elite line than non-elite line
    6) Haven't noticed. Last time at ARN CO boarded on first come first serve basis (no elite line)
    7) Never check bags
    8) Haven't noticed
    9) N/A
    10) N/A
    11) N/A
    12) Haven't noticed

11. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Freddie Listo Gold Member

Status Points:
    On most of my flights this year Channel 9 HAS disappeared. :(

12. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since I'm not an elite anymore, and in fact have barely been flying at all this year, I hadn't had any experience with integration issues until last week. I was on a CO award ticket with my first flight on UA, connecting to LH from SFO. UA canceled my flight, and there were no other options to get me to SEA in time to make my connection. It took 55 minutes to get things changed because the UA ticket agent sent me to CO, since it was a CO ticket, and the CO guy kept going over to the UA desk to figure out how to change it. There was a lot of back-and-forth arguing, gesticulating and the like. So that part of the integration is not yet there.

#4- The check-in process for non-elites, even in F, was pretty bad, as people were lining up for CO with UA tickets and UA with CO tickets. The whole setup was extremely confusing.

13. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    United agents are notorious for trying to pass the buck on involuntary ticket reissues. It was United's responsibility to rebook and reissue the ticket, but many of their agents prefer to instead force the customer to go back to the ticketing carrier, such that United won't be forced to take the financial hit for the re-protect.

14. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a question about the integration. I have 2 upcoming flights on UAX issued by CO with a CO flight number. I assume that UA won't honor my free checked bag on my Onepass card? BTW, I did notice the "enhancement" in my Onepass mailer that cardholders will only get one traveling companion's bag free in addition to our own.