MicroSoft if offering me Windows 10 (for free?) - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Gaucho, Jun 1, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Im getting this message from Windows (as part of the Windows Update tab) that I am being offered an upgrade to Windows 10 for free. The offer specifies that this is not for a Windows 10 free trial, it is for the full version. My ThinkPad T30 is 3+ years old and I purchased a full license of Office 2010, Im surprised I would qualify for this offer.

What do the resident tech experts say, should I take the offer...? Havent read up on the latest reviews of Windows 10, Im running Windows 7 Professional (V6.1 Service Pack 1) and have no major complaints.

Thoughts & advice appreciated !!!

Cheers,
    Alex

edekba and Newscience like this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    edekba likes this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    also i hate upgrades... i'd rather cleanwipe and then upgrade. So I will probably "Reserve" but not actually install

Gaucho likes this.
  5. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    One issue will all my software work under W10? I'll let others check for me !!!!

DTWBOB

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    Gaucho and edekba like this.
  6. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    My general experience from being in the software field for 10+ years is that older computers are tested less aggressively for compatibility with newer operating systems than what's shipping now. This is especially true for Windows, with the huge variety of computer manufacturers + other device manufacturers creating a real dog's breakfast of drivers that require support and testing (and that simply won't get adequate coverage compared to "what's hot").

I'd therefore be reluctant to upgrade a 3+ year computer. My rule of thumb is "run the operating system it came with, and upgrading past that is not something a casual user should do" (if you're an enthusiast who doesn't mind trying to debug problems you might feel differently).

vickers and Gaucho like this.
  7. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    For quite a few years now, upgrade option extracts a clean image (and potentially moves over a few settings, if you selected to keep them) rather than attempts to work in place. You just end up with your old version in a Windows.old folder.

Gaucho, skyvan and edekba like this.
  8. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    agreed but since I have an original windows xp then upgrade to win7 and now win10 i'm going to end up with a lot of obsolete files. I rather just do it from a clean slate.

Gaucho likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Goes the other way around, too. I recently spent an evening upgrading a monster (size/weight) Windows 8.x laptop for a friend to Windows 7. The newer hardware meant that while Windows itself installed okay, it didn't recognize vital things like the network or graphics chips. Fortunately I had my own laptop handy for research and downloading of driver files.

For Win 10 I will clone the VM on my Mac and upgrade it to see how I like it. Not sure that I will bother to upgrade my wife's Thinkpad, but we'll see.

Gaucho likes this.
  10. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you choose to keep nothing during the upgrade process (Choose what to keep? Settings+personal files+apps, personal files, nothing) you'd end up with the same image as if you did a clean install (plus an extra Windows.old folder - which you can remove manually or through cleanmgr.exe). There shouldn't be anything different in Windows folder, etc.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    Gaucho and edekba like this.
  11. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    My question is how much Memory will Windows 10 take. It seems like each new version of Windows takes more and more memory. Those of us with decent operating, but really old systems 4-5+ years, usually get hammered on new OS.

eponymous_coward likes this.
  12. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10#System_requirements

Gaucho likes this.
  13. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    My newly purchased Intel compute stick is eligible for win 10 upgrade. So I'd imagine 2gb ram is minimum which is what's on board that device.

Gaucho likes this.
  14. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have Windows 8.1 on my computer.......I will wait until the bugs are worked out before upgrading to 10.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  15. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    :D

Gaucho likes this.
  16. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Over on TOBB they are saying this upgrade is free for 1 year but that after that you have to pay...?

17. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    No. A license (including updates) is good for the lifetime of the device once you upgrade. You can presently get it for free for the next year - once you have it, you're set. If you don't get it within a year and want to upgrade afterwards - that's still unknown at this time.

18. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points: